Ryerson Run Pans?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threewingedfury

<3 BIG and Blocky <3
Does anyone know where to get Ryerson Run pans made? I purchased 2 - 3 hole runs yesterday and every single pan is rusted so badly. One is rusted the entire way through. I called around my town and no one uses galvanized steel and couldn't make them so that they wouldn't be sharp on the edges. Bass equipment charges $17.55 each + 21.50 shipping since I need 6 of them, which comes to $126.80. I already paid $60 for the runs, I honestly don't want to put more money in the pans considering the runs would have just been $190 brand new including the supplies. I should have just bought new runs! I called Ryerson's and left a message, but haven't gotten a reply just yet.

Last edited:
if you can't find anyone locally, wait for the Ryersons to return your call.
They are prolly busy right now getting ready for Nationals this weekend.
Maybe try them again the beginning of the week.

I had that problem with some 24 x 24 pans and was lucky enough to find the exact size I needed at Home Depot to cover the bottom, until I can afford some new ones!
Problem there, was finding them, or finding someone who knew where they were, as they're kinda hidden! One store had them by nuts and bolts, and the other by heating ducts! Don't know what size you need, but they had quite a few!
Tip - if they lay flat, put some silicone caulk on the bottom to prevent leakage to the original pan, and trim any exposed to avoid chewing! DO NOT DO EDGES, AND THEN TRIM - UNDERNEATH ONLY!!

well I think the size is 14 1/4" x 21" x 2 3/8"

I was thinking about just taking a piece of sheet metal and just laying it over the rusted bottom, that way it would be cheaper, but I honestly don't know if its safe.

Only one pan is rusted through and thats in the middle of the pan. The rest are just in really bad shape, so I figured I'd get all new ones if possible.

I'll take pictures later to show..

Are the Shoots runs same size as the Ryerson ones? Maybe you could purchase pans from them if you cannot get ahold of Ryerson's. Though I know the Shoots are going to the show this weekend as well.

I'm not sure if they are, but I'm not in a hurry. I've got some serious cleaning to do to the runs first and I have to purchase collars and rivets from the Ryersons anyway. I called one welding shop in town and holy crap - $498 for 6 pans. They couldn't do smaller than 14g and charged $125 an hour to weld. Maybe I need to go into the metal business!

This is the best and the worst pan. I'm honestly afraid to use them...

3371142434_73a08ca3c1.jpg

The runs don't look too bad considering the condition of the pans.

3370322827_7b889ce898.jpg

I wouldn't use those pans if it was me, I would just be to paranoid to put an animal in them. The Shoots pans are not welded just folded and pop riveted together. If you are really crafty and a DYI person you could make your own. My DH has made pans for me before. It takes time but can save you some $$. We purchased the metal from Lowes and have a gutter/siding tool that is flat and bends the sides well enough without having to purchase a huge break (tool that bends metal). He then pop riveted the sides together.

Runs look in good condition, I purchased a few Shoots runs and growing cages from a friend and have not had any problems yet. My pans were in a bit better shape though.

I've used pans with holes the size of the chin in them. You just put something in the bottom over the top of the hole (like a pan-sized sheet of aluminum or something)

Tiffany, you don't go to a welding company, you go to the a/c guys, lol. Call up any local a/c or heating place, the metal used in duct work is the same used in pans.

Should get you a lower price. :))

the dimensions are 15 X 21 across the bottom of the pans, and yes the same pans fit in runs from the Ryersons and the Shoots, although no one is going to get back to you this weekend.

That's exactly what I was saying - just cover the bottom - silicone it to stay and seal junk from getting beneath it!! It doesn't have to be exact fit!

I called the a/c places first and they told me that the aluminum would be too sharp to put in the pan, that I'd most likely cut myself with it. They'd have to call someone in to specially cut the pieces for me, but I doubt thats true either. I was also told that some people use rustoleum and paint the pans and just put something over the holes. I'm kinda afraid to actually do that.

Last edited:
I called the a/c places first and they told me that the aluminum would be too sharp to put in the pan, that I'd most likely cut myself with it. They'd have to call someone in to specially cut the pieces for me, but I doubt thats true either. I was also told that some people use rustoleum and paint the pans and just put something over the holes. I'm kinda afraid to actually do that.

That's quite a load of honkey.

Have you ever ripped apart a soda can? That aluminum is way sharper than any ducts. I'm sure you could do it yourself if you tried. All you would really need is some metal shears and a good decent sheet of aluminum. Size, measure, cut, and seal.

I know this is going to sound a little wierd, but you might try pouring coke (pepsi doesn't work) in the old ones, let it sit for awhile and then take some steel wool to them. a few may clean up better than you think.

Go to Lowes and you can buy a pair of tin snips to cut the metal with. They also sell the metal that you can cut to fit inside of the pan. When I bought the metal for our pans at Lowes it was in the nuts and bolts (hardware aisle) Yes, you can paint the inside of the pans with rustoleum paint and it won't hurt the chins. I know several breeders who do that (as well as myself) to keep the pans from rusting futher.

Aluminum is very sharp and does not hold a fold well. I wouldn't consider using it as a pan, too flimsy - and did I mention it was a ***** to work with?

Sounds like the duct people didn't want your business. People still use galvanized steel for duct work, I'd call around and ask a bit more. The people I worked with in Moscow, ID were very nice and had a table shear and bender on site. For only 5 pans it was $32 a pan, but they were made to my specs.

If you do make your own pans you'll need to invest in a pop riveter. Pans take too much abuse to just be glued together. If you attempt to use aluminum, you'll need clamps and gloves, full length pants and I'd recommend a facial shield. It 'whips' so to speak when you work with rolls you get at the hardware store. You'll also need something to sand down the edges.

Good luck!

(Edited to say that I've used polyurethane - it's like the duct tape of the sealant world - Rustoleum and the normal el-cheapo spray paint from Wal-Mart) None have ever harmed the chins.

Well I went and picked up some aluminum from Lowes for $7.68 a sheet for 24" x 36". 3 sheets will be enough for me to cut 6 pieces to fit in each of the pans. I got some steel wool and I'm gonna clean the pans and see if I can get some of the rust out, which I hadn't even attempted yet because I didn't want to waste my time, until I figured out how much it would cost to buy new pans. Then I think I'm gonna try to spray the bottom with rustoleum and lay the aluminum on top of it. I was told to use rustoleum metal primer. Sound like a good deal?

Latest posts

Back