Rough looking Fosters

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolyphinm

These chinchillas were confiscated from dirty filthy house (as in potential to lose children level of dirty). Female looks and acts great, she will just be held onto to make sure she is not pregnant as I have no idea how they were kept so I am just going with pregnancy watch just to be safe.

The one male had an old broken leg injury that has left him with a foot that stays out to the side. He also seems to have a head tilt, but over all seems really well off considering everything he has going wrong he had good poop and just gladly ate pellets and especially hay. He also immediately chomped down on the toy I put in there. Very spunky and bright eyed, just this previously broken and poorly healing leg and this head tilt. I first thought if he just had the limp amputated it could give him a better quality of life but it seems to help with his balance from this head tilt issue. He has no ledges in his cage for his own safety.

The other male has thinning fur around both eyes or just watery eyes that clumped down the fur, I really can't figure it out. He is quite the grump, but well I understand he had a rough life. I am nervous about teeth problems with him.

Both boys need to get into a more chin savvy vet as where I volunteer at hardly ever sees a chinchilla.

Keep fingers crossed/say a few prayers/whatever you want to do for these boys. I only ever have 1 other male foster and he passed within 24 hours from a URI so I am nervous to say the least with these guys in not so great shape.

Last edited:
:handstogether: I think it's wonderful the dedication given to rescue chins. They're such sweet little critters.

They'll be alright, they're in good hands! Just being clean and having good food is going to help out tremendously with helping them recover. Hopefully the one chin doesn't have anything too hard to fix...you'll have to let us know what the vet says about him.

I agree with Susan. They are in great hands! Thank you for taking them for now and helping them.

Thanks ladies for the kind words. I figured I'd go into more details here than on Facebook. The female I have no worries over other than hopefully not knocked up. She was named Rosalie so from there I opted to go with a Grimm theme in names. She is a very typical chin but much braver. She already comes right up to me to beg.

The male with what turns out to be just thinning fur around his eyes so tinactin in his dust bath. He was labeled as Brillo but he is now Burkhart, the Grimm from Grimm.

The boy that is special needs is named Monroe. He can't roll in dust which might help explain why he looks so rough. He gladly let me rub dust on him. We will be needing to work out a lot of mats and get more weight on him as he feels boney. I actually picked up a very low bowl for him for pellets as I was nervous he wouldn't be able to eat from a normal cup as he doesn't really stand up on his hind legs, so the best thing I could find that I didn't think he might tip was a glass ash tray. Don't worry it's brand new. Needless to say I had the most bizarre of chinchilla purchases I ever made today. Last night I just put his pellets on his fleece liner. He is a real sweetie, likes scratches but is still able to popcorn with his bad leg. He already ate half of the pellets I gave him tonight.

I thought I was the only one! Years ago I had two chins that couldn't use the normal dishes and I bought them the glass ashtrays, too. :) They work well since they don't get tipped over very easily and they hold enough for one chin. I hope that your little sweetie pie improves for you soon. He sounds like a darling little fella.

So quarantine question. Granted we are only about 1/3 of the way through and obviously the one will be in quarantine for a while until he clears up. If the other 2 are still looking clear after 30 days would you still keep them in quarantine since they were exposed to the fungus and just wait until the lone infected one is clear or would they be good to move out of the quarantine room when their time is up.

Should I just stay cautious about it and wait until we got the fungus's butt kicked?

Side note it looks like it's not spreading at least so hopefully tinactin is all we need. He's been very good with his baths :)

Back