Rotisserie Chicken and ???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
My parents are coming over to help do some stuff, like look at my oven that's not working! :(

And I'm making rotisserie chicken... but what else?

I have a stove top, just not an oven, lol. Usually I'll do baked herb potatos, glazed carrots, and rolls.. which all use my oven!

I hope it's just a fuse... otherwise I guess I'll get to go oven shopping!

Any ideas?

I'd go with a nice salad, and maybe mashed potatoes and gravy. You could get dinner rolls already made, and heat them up in the microwave.

I love the bags of frozen mixed vegetables and pasta, and they come with sauces--like cheese or alfredo sauce. They are so easy to prepare, and taste wonderful. They make a great fast side dish.

Can you make glazed carrots in the microwave? Baked potatos can be made in the microwave! Do you have a microwave?

Frozen vegetables from a bag are great. Green beans/bean and carrot mixtures with some butter, pepper and garlic are good. Or broccoli with cheese sauce.

Boiled potatoes are one of my favourites too. You can add dill, parsley, chicken stock, or just sour cream and salt and pepper. Pretty much anything :)

Microwave baked potatoes, boiled corn on the cob, Lipton butter noodles, rice, fried potatoes - there's some suggestions that can be done stove top.

Does the broiler element work? If so maybe it's just the baking heating coil thing that needs replaced. Or possibly the knob is broken.
Maybe you could make homemade soup, I like cheddar broccoli.

I'm pretty sure the knob isn't broken.. it doesn't have one! LOL

It's digital, it says it's on, and will sit on "preheat" for hours, I know this because I had wood in there to bake and when I came back to check it the oven wasn't warm! I'm hoping there is a fuse or something in there that blew, but I'm kind of a walking fire hazard.. so I don't mess with much electrical stuff, lol.

Hmmm, maybe instead of chicken.. I could make chicken n dumplings... I'll have to ask mom what she thinks about that.

I LOVE butter noodles, I do have those! That would go really good with chicken... That's a good one!

LOL, I DO have a microwave! I've never thought about doing the glazed carrots in there. I know you can boil carrots on the stove top too... I don't know why you couldn't do a glazed on like a medium low...

Great ideas! I needed to get out of the same old meals rut anyway!

Ooo here’s my vote for side dishes: mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potato medallions, velveeta mac and cheese, fried apple slices (fry them in sugar, butter and cinnamon, I can post the recipe if you want!), peas or corn, and finally bakery rolls. Mmm.

When I cook a big meal like that I like to make the plates really creative. I make a wide mouthed volcano on 1/3 of the plate using the mashed potatoes. I then line the outside with the medallions (think seashells lining a sand castle). Pour some peas/corn in the inside of the volcano and pour in the gravy like it’s a bowl. I then put an “island” to the side with the mac and cheese, 1/3 of the plate. The last third of the plate is the chicken which I drizzle with gravy. It ends up looking pretty cool. Like a fancy restaurant. Lol.

Do you have a crockpot? You can make all kinds of stuff in one of those. Anything from potatoes to meat to soup to bread and cake.

I do have a crock pot, a roaster, a rotisserie, an electric skillet... do you want me to keep going..

Ya know.. all I'm really missing is a panini press...

Uhm, I don't know, I've never seen a fancy restaurant with a volcano dish. Plus, some of my family won't eat food that is touching the other, and for the love of Sam do you really eat that much stuff?! I'm on a low fat diet!

Most cheese is either out or very limited for me, which is sad because I do love me a good home made mac n cheese... :( But I did finally get the store to get fat free cheese slices! I can eat cheese again! Tastes different, but it's close enough for grilled cheese or sammiches, and stuff.

I like the butter noodle idea...

Last edited:
What I would have done:

Cheesy mashed potatoes with chives and bacon crumbles

Steamed broccoli/green beans/asparagus/broccolini

Run to a good bakery near you (Panera bread co., etc.) for a loaf of artisan bread and toast w/ butter in the toaster oven.

Latest posts

Back