Root Elongation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lillybabe

Okay, I have had a single chinchilla since February of 2007. He is about 4 years old now. I got him through the local humane society and have been spoiling him rotten ever since. I knew I was taking a gamble... and I'm not sure I'm a good gambler.

On Monday of this week I took him to the vet, there were a few possible concerns but mainly I just wanted to get him a check up. The vet said he felt possible elongation on the bottom jaw line. Bumps on the jaw bone... even I can feel them. I just want to know.. where I should go from here. The vet said to bring him back in a month and he'd advise xrays if he'd lost any weight or had any other symptoms. Should I wait? Should I get the xrays now? If he has elongated roots should I put him down? There isn't any treatment I have heard about for it.

How long do you wait it out? He seems happy now... he plays, chews, is friendly still. I am already crushed.. and I do not know for sure. He's such a sweet little boy.

If it was me, I would want the x-rays so I knew for sure. Then I could make a decision based on facts. The vet may be completely wrong and you may be worrying yourself for nothing.

As far as putting him to sleep, that will be a decision that you can make more clearly once you know what's going on for sure. If he's eating, drinking, playing, and doing all things chin right now, then even if he has elongated roots, I would think you would not need to rush him in to be PTS.

I forgot to mention, the main reason the vet was concerned is because he is a lower weight then the last time he was at the vet. He hadn't been to the vet in over a year. So, there's some weight loss going on for sure. His poops have also seemed smallish. I'm going to keep a closer eye on him, and I purchased a new scale. I am also going to find a different hay to tempt him with. Maybe I can fatten the boy up a bit. He's always been on the smaller side. He's being fed Mazuri now... I have been pondering switching to Oxbow for a while now as some say their chins eat it better.

He lost about 30 grams. However I'm not sure if he's been yo-yoing or not.

Eh, 30 gm in a year is not a huge amount. Can you feel his ribs? Does his skin hang on him like he's lost a lot of weight? Some chins can fluctuate by 20 gm in a day. 30 over a year just wouldn't be a huge issue for me.

If he is being "chin like" and doing all the things chins do, I don't think you have to make any decisions right now, spoil him rotten and when the time comes you can feel good you gave him the best life he could have had.

I agree with what has been said. Definitely get xrays. A great vet told me to treat the chin after discovering on his xrays that root elongation had just started but no bone loss has occurred. My CJ, who has malo, has an unbelievable personality and jumps and wall surfs and pretty much eats on his own. He had lost a lot of weight but is slowly regaining some of that back. Good luck with your baby.

So, my worst fears are true. Raisin has malo, vet says his teeth are very bad off.. he also lost 55 grams since April when he was last seen. The vet did xrays today, blood work and filed a few teeth. She wants to have a few of the worst teeth extracted, I am not sure how I feel about that. She wants to see him again in a month. For now I have painkillers for him to help him recover from the filing, and I have some CC to supplement and help him hopefully gain back and maintain weight. Worried about my poor baby.

My vet, does not recommednd extraction esp of the back teeth for fear of fracturing the jaw.

I am sorry your baby has all this going on. I had to have Gabby put down after a short time with Malo. It is a terrible thing, and I hope you can keep him happy and comfortable for the time you still have with him, as long as that may be.

If his teeth and roots are that bad, is he on any pain meds otherwise, for long term rather then just for after the filing?

Are the roots pushed out past the jaw line on the bottom?

Extractions do not work, the opposing and adjacent teeth will continue to grow and the malo becomes worse from the tilting, also the elongation will speed up. There is no long term fix for this, if the vet said it is bad I personally think you need to consider quality of life. Long term pain med use will eventually cause damage to the kidney'ss and liver and there is potential of ulcers of the digestive tract.

I am sure I can get more pain meds for the longer term if I want them/need them. He's got little bumps on the jaw, so probably... the vet said his teeth all have problems.. however he's still eating and chewing, along with still being all bouncy. Or well, normally he is.. right now he's sleepy. Will be taking some time to watch him and decide a game plan.

If you have enough money, you might want to get a second opinion. It sounds like your chin is in a bad situation but some of the things your vet said sound iffy. Or if you can get a hold of the x rays and scan them onto your computer and see what some of the breeders/owners with malo experience have to say about how much pain he might be in.

So, Raisin as I talked about here has seemed to be doing well since his teeth were filed.. eating, drinking, bouncing around. However, yesterday I noticed he's making this odd sound. He makes it like all the time, almost like he's breathing with the sound.. however it's a little too far spaced for that I think. It sounds most like the chinchilla distress sound. I am wondering if this means he's in more pain. I am just worried about my little guy, any ideas?

If the roots have penetrated the nasel cavity the chance of URIs increases and inflamation also-does it sound like a whistle? Do you hear the noise from the nose area or if you hold him up and listen to his chest, do you hear anything there that sounds like a whistle?

No, he's making the noise with his mouth. It's the chinchilla distress sound. I gave him some pain meds to help with any discomfort and I still hear the little sound. He makes it constantly it seems. His stomach also seemed bloated when I picked him up, I'm worried. There's only one emergency vet around here with any chin experience I am hoping I can hold out for tomorrow to see my main vet, or take him to the University clinic where they have some experts.

If he is bloated, give him a full dropper of simethicone (baby gas drops avaliable at the drug store) ASAP, then every 2-3 hours after until you can get to the vet. Massage of the tummy-work from just below the rib cage in circular gentle motions downward towards the anus and repeat-do it as long as he will let you and do it every couple of hours. Get him running around also, let him play after the massages for a few min or as long as you can. Hand feed if you are not doing so-bloated chins won't eat on their own and get him to a vet as soon as you can-motility drugs to speed up the gut action gets rid of bloat faster and limits the chance he will go into stasis and a pain med is also needed from the vet.

I think I know what kind of sound he's making. It sounds like a hiccup then a distress sound right? Some of mine are making that too. It's that's what it is, nothing to worry about.

I agree with what Riven said. If malo is that bad.... spend as much time together as you can and when you see he's in pain, just let him go.

It's not a hiccup sound, it's like a pain sound. He's not making it much today. And I think I miss took just eaten for bloat... when I picked him up later he seemed good. Maybe his mommy is just paranoid I weighed him yesterday as well and he was 600 grams, which is good for him. I am pretty sure he was under 500 last time he saw the vet, maybe the filing is buying him some time. Gonna keep an eye on him for a few days with a plan to take him to the vet on Friday when I am off work. Otherwise I'll take him to the ER if he seems to be doing worse. Gonna give him the painkillers the vet gave him though, just incase there is some discomfort. They gave me metacam last time he was in, was about a month ago.

Back