Roo's dental and full body x-rays.Opinions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercynursie

I was able to get cds of Roo's dental and full body x-rays. If anyone has any advice or suggestions please,please let me know. I'd really like to determine if the left lung area is tumor vs. infection. All opinions, suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated! Can be seen(hopefully) in attachment.

Attachments

• 1467_7696_20131120115159.0.jpg
    1467_7696_20131120115159.0.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 1467_7699_20131120115735.0.jpg
    1467_7699_20131120115735.0.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1467_7700_20131120115832.0.JPG
    1467_7700_20131120115832.0.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 42
  • roo2.JPG
    roo2.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 33
  • roo4.JPG
    roo4.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 30
There is another possibility. It might be a hernia. It is har to tell from the pictures. NOLA Chinchilla Rescue recently had something similar. X-rays even with barium were inconclusive. Surgery revealed that much of the liver and several loops of intestines were in the chest. The repair was successful and the chin is happy and healthy.

Roo's dental and full body xrays.Please view and give opinions

There is another possibility. It might be a hernia. It is har to tell from the pictures. NOLA Chinchilla Rescue recently had something similar. X-rays even with barium were inconclusive. Surgery revealed that much of the liver and several loops of intestines were in the chest. The repair was successful and the chin is happy and healthy.

Thanks for the suggestion.Really appreciate your response. Dr B mentioned that could be a possiblity, but said since the stomach and other major organs that he could identify were in the proper location/no shifting or displacement that he could see,he didn't feel that was an issue.Dr B is great with Roo.He used to have a small breeding herd but family life/work had to stop so he hasn't been up on the newest chin 411 but he is very knowledgeable/receptive to suggestions too so I have been really comfortable letting him care for Roo. I'm just hoping some of the more experienced folks might see something different with the lung infection/vs tumor or possibly they may see evidence of a herniation/rupture that we are missing..

Last edited:
No I don't have any suspicious/confirmed malo in any of the boys. Roo did have a broken/chipped incisor that Dr B filed down while he was in there just to even that up.Do you see any signs of malo on his dental?

From the side I see where it looks like it could be a tumor, but the AP view it looks like R) sided pneumonia that we see in a lot of our stroke patients from aspiration. Usually if you had a hiatal hernia it would be on the L) side, but I see something on the R). If you look at your lateral view it doesn't come up out of the hiatus, it sits up on along the wall, so I would not be concerned about a hernia. If it was mine I'd treat for infection.

(The R) side of the xray is the L) side of the chin, so you have to remember to turn the body around)

I think the teeth look pretty good, but Dawn would know a lot more about teeth than probably anyone here or any vets in most cases.

Bad situation, but excellent set of xrays. Everyone who owns a chin should view them to see how delicate and tiny they really are under all of that fur.

ETA: If you work in a hospital with a good rad tech have them look it over, they would be your best answer. :D

Last edited:
The dentals look fine, reason I ask is malo chins can carry nasty things in their mouths that can be passed on to healthy chins, it looks like a infection/mass to me, not one or the other that was why I was thinking abscess.

Latest posts

Back