Roo Not Doing Well

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercynursie

My little Momma's boy Roo isn't feeling well. When we got back from our trip, he refused a treat from me but that was pretty common for him(he holds a grudge). Tammy was home from college taking care of all the critters and said he ate and played fine while we were gone.Well Sunday morning he refused his treat/any treat at all and that's not normal for him! Noticed small poo on the shelf where he sleeps and his water bottle had not been used(I filled it full Sat pm) =not good . Did hair ring check(clear) started gas drops and tummy rubs every 4 hours.Would get a few small dry poos(looked more like mouse poo instead of chin).Also got 40cc critical care in Sunday afternoon and night. Got in to see vet at 1120 Monday. He was great.Did complete physical,visual on the teeth,checked stool for problems there and lastly did gas him for a thorough dental exam and radiographs. Said teeth looked good, no root elongation.Mouth clear with exception of very small pimple looking area .I went back and watched the anesthesia and endoscopic dental exam so he showed me the area of concern and said it possibly could be a right caudal retrobulbar abcess or a lesion from a stick/hay,etc. He gave him some sub-q fluids at my request since I knew he wasn't drinking,metacam 0.03 ml twice a day for pain,chloramphenicol 05ml twice a day for infection. Continue force feeding the critical care(add pumpkin for flavor and fiber) and continue tummy massages. I asked about Reglan for gi stimulant but he said he preferred to give the CC and pumpkin fiber a chance first. So I am doing all of the above and personally continuing the gas drops every 4 hours(probiotics with it) and Iam adding lifeline to the cc when I feed. His poos are getting a little better. He pee'd on me this pm when I was catching him for feeding but he fights the CC/lifeline like crazy(I have tried both flavors and added the pumpkin).Even burritoed he gets more on me and on him than in him plus he's biting the end of the feeding syringe off if he can get it! I do make sure he gives it back though. It seems like most of the time I slowly squirt a little in the cheek pouch area but he just takes his tongue and pushes it back out!Love my little bratty boy! Any ideas/suggestions? I tried even thick paste consistency from the spoon,rolled into little balls for him to try,etc but still fighting . The vet gave me copies of his digital x-rays and the visual scope pics from his mouth.Do you guys see anything he may have missed or anything else I can try? I am going to try to scan and attach the pics so I hope I can do it so everyone can see them. :banghead:

Attachment: IMG.pdf (502.7 KB)

Attachments

• IMG.pdf
    502.7 KB · Views: 43
It sounds like your vet was really thorough and that you are doing a good job taking care of your wee one. I would keep following the vets advice and if possible get more CC into him. My last chin HATED being hand fed, so it took two people. One to burrito him and hold him (re-burrito'd regularly during the feeding) and one to handle the CC. We went through a LOT of syringes too as chomped em to pieces! Might just take some time for all the care to yield positive results

I am so sorry you have to go through this! But, it sounds like you are doing what you should be doing. Maybe some more concentrated simethicone would help, but there's not much else left that you can give to help out. I hope that he pulls through for you!

Good looking teeth there, nice and straight with good roots. The fistula does look like a injury with the source of infection still there , and kudos to your vet for the use of chloramphenicol instead of baytril, the cool endo photos and good x-rays.

I really like him! This is the first time any of my guys have had to go to vet(i've been able to take care of the small stuff). I did call back today and convince him to give me some reglan for motility since Roo is still passing stool but very hard,dry and small and also got some subq fluids to give if needed and he wants to here from me tomorrow. He asked if I was comfortable with subq injections of the Reglan until he could get some flavored compounded from the pharmacy for me to give oral.I just gave him the first dose as soon as I got home and boy did he have a fit.At least I know to get extra hands if I even attempt to inject the subq fluids! Got a full 15cc of CC/Lifeline mix actually in him not on him or me.Still keeping up with tummy rubs.Momma's little boy now Kacks and attempts to spray me when I have to catch him.I hate he feels bad but watching him try sooo hard to spray is hilarious!I'm so thankful it isn't his teeth!

Have you tried offering him the CC without restraint? I've found that in many cases my chins prefer to take the CC while in their cage and I just hold the syringe up to them. They will fight it tooth and nail when burritoed. Most times they grab on to the syringe once they figure out it's good and eat it willingly. I will dip the tip of the syringe in the simethicone to encourage them as well as they seem to enjoy the flavor of it.

could you try grinding up some of his pellets and mixing it with the CC? He might like the taste of that better....

Latest posts

Back