RIP Bella

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stampinchick

~Denise~
I have not been on this site for over a month now, because we had a horrible accident with our first chin, Bella. My son, who is almost 2 figured out how to get her cage opwn, and was able to get her out of her cage. He didn;t have her in his hands because he was literally within eye line of me in the room right next to where I was, and as soon as my older son said he had gotten her out of the cage, I went running in to get her away from him. As I tried to take her from my son, he squeezed her and tried to pull her away, and somehow managed to squeeze her to death.
We have been so upset, and were in absolute shock for some time. Obviously since then we have gotten locks for the cage so that something like this does not happen with the 3 remaining chins that we have. However, we are still deeply saddened and heartbroken over the loss of our first chinnie. She will be greatly missed. RIP Bella.

I am so so sorry! What a terrible accident! It is hard to anticipate what a 2 year old can and will do and I'm sure no one thought that he would find his way into the chin cage and get ahold of Bella. At least this accident won't happen again with locks on the cages now. I'm so sorry this happened to you!

I am very sorry, what a tragic story. Try not to feel bad (I know it is impossible) but it was a mistake/accident and we all have made them or had them. RIP Bella.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :flowers4:

What a tragic accident. I'm sure your child is sorry, too, and now realizes that chinnies must be handled with care. What a hard lesson to learn...

R.I.P Bella..
I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Thank you for sharing this with me. I have a 3 year old sister and I plan to get locks for my cage soon.

So sorry to hear about Bella and hope your little 2 year old is alright too (that had to have been a big upset)...:(

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I appreciate it a lot. I was honestly very worried to come back to the site and tell the story because I was worried people would judge and be angry.

that is a tragic loss. who could be angry at you for something that was a freak accident and not in your control. I have a 17 month old and it really makes you think. through telling your story you are helping others prevent another accident. I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I'm so sorry you lost your girl. I live with a four year old that doesn't really realize how destructive he can be while he's curious or "helping". It's hard to strike a balance between teaching the child how to care for animals/letting them help, and keeping everyone involved safe. You did your best, and Bella knows that.

Back