Rescues with small poo?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Cassie~Jake

We took in two rescues last night. Been noticing small poos about the size of a grain of rice. Not sure if I should worry or not?

What kind of diet were they on? And are you doing a cold switch, or a gradual switch on the food, or keeping the same? Are they drinking well?

I'd give them lots of acidophilus, and gas drops, and line the bottom of the cage with paper towels so you can make sure they're peeing plenty. If they're peeing a lot, then put them on regular bedding. You can't overdo the acidophilus, and they can have a full dropper of gas drops 3x a day to help their bellies with the adjustment.

Encourage their hay intake--loose and cubes if possible, as the fiber will help their poos. :)

Good luck with them! :D

They were Sunscription (petco food) I am slowly switching them to oxbow. They are drinking well. When you said gas stuff is that childrens kind of gas ex? Also where would I go about finding acidiphilus? Just got them last night and they have not warmed up to me yet. SO I don't want to stress them out.......wonder if they have anti-gas chewableS? so i don't have to grab em out.

Get infant's Mylicon- it's simethicone gas drops. My chins lick it up like candy.

Acidophilus can be found at drug stores, in the vitamins usually. I believe Walmart has some as well.

Does the Sunscription have treats and stuff in it? If it were me I would just give them straight Oxbow.

The baby gas drops are simethicone. The brand name is Mylicon, but any store brand works just fine and costs a lot less. You can wrap the chins up in a towel (burrito) to give them the drops; as soon as they get a taste, they usually will lick it right up--it tastes good! :D I don't think the chewable gas-ex tablets are recommended.

You can get acidophilus at Walmart or any drug or health food store. Most health food stores have chewable acidophilus; usually other places it is in capsule form with a powder inside. You want to get some with a bacteria count in the billions.

There are a few different ways you can give them the powder form. You can break open a capsule and sprinkle it on their food; pour it inside half a shreddie, or mix it with a bit of water and give with a medicine dropper.

I would also do a switch straight to Oxbow, or any other high quality feed. Just be sure to add some acidophilus.

There is really not many treats in it. Just some hay and oat groats looks like. The little Ebony guy will not take treats from my hand......so I guess I will have to burrito him! I think I may continue with the slow switch...the food they were on was not "awful" just not up to my standards for my babies. I will pick this all up today after work and start on them tonight. Just wanted to give them a day to try and settle in.

Thank you all for all your help!
Cassie

Stress will cause the chins to have small poos-- Everytime I get a new rescue they have small poos for a few days- usually it goes away by the time they get settled in .

Latest posts

Back