Rescued Duckling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazicat

Yesterday brought us the unexpected rescue of a duckling. Because there is no reliable duck rescue he will be staying with us since we have experience. He's the cutest little thing and seems to be doing well. Thankfully I have a friend who is an expert duck rescuer and she has helped. I hope you enjoy looking a his picture.

Attachments

• Ducky 1i.jpg
    Ducky 1i.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 110
He's cute! I love baby duckies. Please name him Quackers. He looks like a Quakers. :)

Adorable! We just got a bunch of new day-old ducklings at my job this week. I have to stop myself from snatching them up and bringing them home. Enjoy him... I'm very jealous!

Thank you guys for the nice comments. Ducky is doing great and is finally starting to eat like a little piggy and is for the most part wet all the time except at night when we have to remove his water as advised by an expert so he doesn't get cold or drown.

Ducky doesn't have a name yet and I appreciate the suggestion of Quackers but that is the name of a friends duck so the search is still on. It's actually hard to name him and get attached because once fully feathered our ducky will be in need of a home bigger than we can give him. I am, however, very lucky to have a few resources for great homes where he can be a happy duck or go back to the wild if possible. It will all depend on how attached to people he gets. Normally we would have taken any bird to Sonoma County Wildlife but it doesn't look like they take ducks and the other center isn't an option because they don't take good care of birds.

I have a customer, who raises ducks. They are the most precious little things. :) I'm glad that he found you! Little tiny ducks need to be protected because there are just so many other animals out there that would like to dine on them. :(

You'll have to take pictures as he grows. You already obligated yourself to do that by posting about him. :p Let us know what you end up naming him... :D

Super cute! We had a baby duck just like him for a while and named him Austin. He has since gone to The Family Farm to live--where his best friends there are a black labrador and a pig!

Without a doubt this duckling had no chance without us. We know there was at least one more that had been killed by crows and mom was uncatchable. We really wanted to relocate them together if possible but mama wouldn't be caught.

We've named the little one Dr. Mallard or Ducky for short. I've gotten used to calling him Ducky so it works. Ducky is doing great and is very active. Right now he is in large bin so he has more room and can get it as wet as he likes. A moth flew by him and I was amazed to see Ducky go after it. He's also trying to escape so he can go foraging so we will have to find a way to encourage that for when he goes to live outside.

I will happily post pictures daily as it's not every day you get to watch a duckling this little grow up.

Ducky seems to want company and is so cute. He's eating and seems to be doing well. Here are a few pictures of Ducky taken today. You can't see from the pictures but he's already growing.

Attachments

• Ducky Day 2 A.jpg
    Ducky Day 2 A.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Ducky Day 2 C.jpg
    Ducky Day 2 C.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 92
Unfortunately our little Ducky passed last night. It's one of the hardest parts about a rescue especially since he seemed to be doing so well last night. Thank you for everyone support.

I think it's wonderful you tried to help out ducky and you kept him safe from something harming him. I'm so sorry he passed away :(

Back