Rescue breeding pair ? Advice please!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilanniesmommy

I am seriously thinking about rescuing a breeding pair off of craigslist, but I am a newbie, (I've had Annie now for 3 months). The pair on cl already bred and she is pregnant. I want to rescue but I am scared to death that if I get them something may go wrong. Should I seperate the dad right away, or leave him in until she has the kits? Then when I take him out after she had them should I even put him back in? I am so confused, but I want to make sure they go to a good home. This is moms 3rd litter. Any advice would be great.

:bump1: Right now I dont know anything about them. Dont know what kind of food or if they are doing something for her. The people are moving and cant take them.

If you're that new to having chins, its probably not a good idea. If you decide to get them however, I'd separate the male now and keep the female by herself. You'll have to be ready to get multiple cages, depending on the kits' sex, etc.

You'd have to separate the pair & keep them separated from your girl. Watch for mushy poop, eye watering, excessive mouth pawing, and odd smells, all of which can indicate illness. The female should go right into a cage that's sized for babies (1/2" bar spacing, minimal shelves that are easy to take out when the kits come) and checked daily for signs of labor. You'd also have to switch them to healthy food if they aren't already on something good (and let's be honest, most Craigslist chins aren't) and be prepared to take either of them to the vet for x-rays, antibiotics, a spay for the female, and possibly euthanasia if there are major complications. If your vet is good, they might be able to neuter the male so he can go back in with "his" female. You might, if they prove to be healthy, put all three chins together after that neuter. It has been done. It takes time and effort. I can't tell you whether you should or shouldn't, but I've rescued chins in similar situations and it's rough. It's worth it when it works out, but it's rough. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Unless you are 100% prepared, don't do it.

Babies are fun and so adorable, but a lot can go wrong, it can go wrong fast and you have to know how to handle it. It can get expensive quickly and in the end you could end up with thousands of dollars of medical bills and nothing to show for it.

I'm not trying to discourage you from helping, but these sorts of things should not be entered into lightly. There's a reason that in dog rescue we don't give a pregnant mom to a first time foster.

If you DO decide you're willing to take the risks then good for you - be sure to read all of the stickied sections on the forum, and take 3CsMommy's advice. And contact a local breeder for advice and perhaps help if needed.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks so much for the advice! It is so hard to decide what to do! I have been doing alot of research and that is why I am so scared because so much can go wrong. If I do get them I plan on keeping them in the room we are remodeling(1yr and going strong.lol) For at least 2 1/2 months maybe even longer because I don't want my girl to get anything. We have the stuff to make more cages if needed, because I had planned on getting a friend for Annie. I do have some experience with hand feeding, not with chins but with puppies, kittens, and a little w/baby birds. If I get them at least I will know they are safe, and then I won't be thinking about what is happening to them. But like you all are saying it can be expensive if something goes wrong. I really appreciate the advice. I guess all I can do is wait and see. They haven't gotten back to me yet!

There's actually 2 listings in your area for pregnant female and male. One says fenton with cage for $120 and one doesn't have a town so I'm assuming it's st loius and doesn't have much info or a cage for $100. I'd probably take a pregnant female if she comes with some type of cage and isn't too expensive. We are by Iowa City but my sister is in Hannibal and coming back at least for christmas. Sometimes she's willing to help me move animals and sometimes she's not. It depends how busy she is since she's a chemical engineer and how much traveling she's had to do lately.

The chance of complications on a third pregnancy is greatly reduced unless she has had issues with the first ones. Really it's up to you if you want the challenge. Most people are saying don't do it, but in reality because you care to learn, you're probably the best option, especially off CL where anyone who see's them for $150 in the stores thinks hey great way to have a pet AND make money!

Separate them or you'll have more babies. You can sell the dad if you want, or wait and see what kits come, you might get a male kit you could put with dad and put the girls together if you want. You don't have to spay or neuter anyone unless you want to put them together. Sounds like you have the right information about quarantine, and you have plenty of help here if you decide to go for it.

I was too late, somebody else got them. I hope they went to a good home that didnt get them just to make money! Thanks for all the advice though. I will know for in the future.

Back