Refilling Hay Racks

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudmom25

How often do you replace your chinchillas hay? If they empty out their hay rack/pot by scattering it all over the cage floor, do you chuck it out and give them more? If so, how often?

Thanks!

i toss all old hay & refill with fresh every night. i have learned over the years who eats more and therefore give a pretty accurate amount. i have a few huge hay eaters and a couple not so much.

Every day I pick up and toss the loose hay that spills over from their hay racks. My boys are on fleece liners and sometimes they end up peeing on the loose hay. I refill the hay racks every day as well.

Ok...that sounds good. I was replacing the hay as soon as it was spilled over so was going through a LOT of hay. I will replace at the end of the night...unless they are empty.

Thanks!

I refill every morning and every night before I go to bed. If there is still hay in the holder, I leave it...but if it is on the cage floor, I take it out.

I have 2 that are HUGE hay eaters so I am refilling sometimes 2 or 3 times a day. I have one that eats it less so I refill once a day at night, before I got to bed. I have also found it depends on the hay I am feeding too. I feed both Timothy and Meadow Grass.

Back