reasons for owning chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have sever allergies to almost everthing and as long as cage is cleaned weekly and i have kids put in the fresh hay daily i have never had a problem with my chin and i hold it and play with him all the time

I don't have allergies to my chin. But when it comes to the dust bath and changing their bedding, my nose and eyes start flowing like a faucet....I've combated (sp?) the dust bath with just simply putting a wet towel/ handkerchief over my nose and giving them a more enclosed area (like aquarium tank) to bathe in instead of leaving them in the open....as for changing their bedding, I really can't find a way to stop the allergies so I'm going to switch to fleece liners as soon as I run out of bedding =D

Thanks everyone for this invaulable information! I've found a breeder about 15 min. from our house (compared to the 2 1/2 hours we drove to get my hedge) so I'll see how it goes. I'll also be scouring the chin forum also for some more info. Thanks again! :)

I just wanted to say that in addition to being irritated by their hay and dust, I get hives/welts where they scratch me that can be pretty uncomfortable and itchy.

Good luck on your research, and your search for a chinnie.

My husband is severely allergic to most animals and I thought we'd never have a pet until we discovered chinchillas. I was nervous at first but we've had them for months and he holds them near his face, kisses them, lets them climb all over him and the cage is right next to his end of the couch and he's never had a single problem. It's so wonderful to see him finally be able to cuddle a furry animal.

Back