Reasons For Larger Poops

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchieRoo

Vegan Pet Lover
Just wondering if there are any reasons other than being sick that would cause larger poop? I have noticed larger poops coming from Winston. They are wetter than usual, but do dry up hard. I was able to break them apart and they didn't smell. I'm kind of scared though tonight, Winston was eating a poop and it had a smell. I found a couple poops that had a slight smell, but not all of them. I haven't changed anything. I gave him some bottled water a couple days. The bag of hay is new, but the same kind of hay. I am worried that it could mean something more, but I am hoping it's not. Thanks.

When you break them apart, are they hollow? Larger wetter poo could be a digestive issue brewing such as gas.

When you break them apart, are they hollow? Larger wetter poo could be a digestive issue brewing such as gas.

They are not hollow inside. This morning they look fine. That's how it's been though, fine and then big again. I may just get an exam for him if it happens again. Thanks

Do you give shreddies as treats? Some chins become wheat intolerant and can have strange issues such as this.

Do you give shreddies as treats? Some chins become wheat intolerant and can have strange issues such as this.

No wheat treats. I give them things from fuzzies kingdom. Although I haven't lately because I have run out. I do have some herbal hay from oxbow and other varieties of oxbow hay as well and mazuri pellets.

Mazuri is known for causing soft poop, maybe it has started affecting him?

I don't know. Larger droppings sometimes occur when a chin is given something new. It could have been the hay.

I wouldn't switch the foods unless you know that that is the cause for sure. If he's got a parasite or some other issue, it won't help much and it could make things worse. It could just be that he's eating more because of the time of year, something could have stressed him?

I'd give him some probiotics to help his gut adjust. How large are these droppings?

Back