Really just a simple question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimichi

I'm really just wondering here, but is just having wire, though it's not so much wire as it is bars, on the bottom of the cage bad for their feet? I mean I know that if they're on it 24/7 it is, but I wasn't sure about sometimes. Mimi eats her bedding and chews fleece so I have to put her bedding under the rack in the pan so she can't get it. She does have ledges/shelves, and plenty of things on the bottom of her cage (like her house, some chinchillers, and a wood perch), where the bars are, for her to jump/sit on. So I'm just generally curious.

Or if you guys know of a solution to make her stop eating the bedding, I'd gladly accept any advice on that. She eats the kiln dried pine as well as the care fresh stuff.

This is the cage she has, with a few modifications of course. It's all I could afford at the time because it was on sale when I bought it, though I do plan on upgrading to a critter nation cage as soon as I can afford it.

As long as you have things for her to get up off the floor, it's fine. Those cages have very small spacing that will not allow for feet and legs to slip through. I have customers that really like that type of cage and they don't have problems with the floor at all. If you have shelves and ledges and things in the cage, she won't spend much time on the floor.

Oh good. Though one more thing, her house is on the bottom because obviously it can't fit anywhere else, and sometimes when she sleeps in it, rather than on top of it, she spends a long amount of time on the bars. Is that still alright?

You can always get something for her to lay on. Even a simple piece of fleece or a granite tile would get her off the bars to sleep. I would assume since she's comfortable enough to sleep, she's fine or she wouldn't sleep there. But, they do seem to hide themselves away to sleep, so maybe she sacrifices sleeping on the wire for the enclosed space. Who knows how they think ;)

Hmmmm I'll have to look into finding a piece of granite tile to fit in there. Unless my grandpa could cut it to size for me, but I've always heard granite was really hard to cut. Not sure how true that is though. lol

Latest posts

Back