reading a pedigree

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why I never questioned this before. A male I got from Ryerson a couple of years ago has NCUP 9-18 as the dam. What is that?? The rest of the pedigree (such as it is) I can understand. Although there is something else - the sire's sires is EHHU-145. I know EHH is Edgar Hykes but I didn't think 'u' was ever used in figuring litters?? Anyone know??

Not all animal IDs fall in line with the standardized system. I have an animal on several pedigrees that is listed as RNJR 13-13-36, and another known as HWCW TT. I have used U as a year letter, to stand for "unknown", when I was not supplied with a birth date for the animal I purchased, just to make my own records more uniform.

Is it a handwritten pedigree? If so, perhaps it's a "V" that looks like a "U"? I am not familiar with that NCUP ranch brand though.

no it is typed - definitely NCUP 9-18 - The male himself is listed as v1-1622 so could it be ncu p9-18 (is there any brand name ncu?) although it is typed NCUP 9-18???

Hykes was not Canadian, though.

The Ryersons started adding a 1 after the year letter because after 20 years they have filled their pedigree program (which Rich wrote himself) with the first round of letters. The program will not let them repeat animals, so they started adding the 1. So, instead of V1622, which would be an animal they had born in 1989 (if they were producing that many kits that year), the one born in 2008 is V1-1622. The Ryersons are the only ones I know that have been using this system, and they have by no means reached V9, or P9.

There's no rule saying you have to physically live in Canada in order to use their lettering system. Some people find it more convenient to use as many letters as possible, I stick with the US system simply because it's what I was taught.

"U" is used as a year letter for the Canadian lettering system.
It's used at the end though, like HTS-183R.

I've also never heard of either of the above, it could be that the animal was imported from another country.

I would call Jan as she can probably take all the guess work out of it so you will know for sure what you have. They have bought herds from Canada and others who might not hold to the same methods we are used to.

Latest posts

Back