re-prepping wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyronymph

I have a whole box of apple wood that was sent to me that is covered in lichen... It was baked, but not scrubbed, apparently. Can I scrub them and rebake them? or should I just throw it out?

I was given a new box of wood for the mistake, but I would prefer to not have to waste this one if I can use it.

Thanks!

generally I don't use wood covered in lichen. Some lichens are toxic so to me, it's not worth not knowing if it's toxic or not. And even if you scrub it off, how can you be sure you got all of it?
I know others have gotten wood at various times from certain suppliers and just threw it all out because it was covered so bad.

That was nice of the seller to send another box to make up for it. I'd just pitch the other.

If the lichen was baked on the wood then its not going to come off easily and getting the wood wet again would probably make it susceptible to mold. Not worth the time or risk. You're better off tossing it. Also, make sure to carefully inspect the second batch. Clean cooked wood should be dark red/brown in color. If there are grimy black spots that scrape off with a fingernail then it wasn't cleaned well.

Thank you all for the replies. I will be throwing this out.

The replacement batch was perfect, and I've gone through it already (made this order a while ago). I'm sure it was just a fluke shipment.

Again, thanks for your help!

Back