Re-arranging Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydz

So if I rearrange things in the cage, such as position of water bottle and food will that annoy or cause them to not eat.

I have them at the top right in front of their house. The water bottle leaks a bit. It's a good one but when the jump the wire mesh vibrating causing water to drip out and it drips from all the ways up to the bottom and on the wood trim of the self. I want to move it to the bottom so it leaks into the fleece.

Also, my one chin Chewy has gotten lazy and will keep his hind legs in the box and stretch out to get food and water without coming out. with this tactic, he barely comes out.

So good idea or bad?

and side note: I just got a new wheel. it's great, and they seem to like it. But I don't know if it's the wheel or my cage....it's pretty loud. Loud enough to have to put tv pretty loud to hear and you can hear it all the way into my bedroom (of course our doors aren't the greatest either). anyway to make it a little more silent?

I've never had a problem moving things around in their cage. I have moved their water bottles and food around the cage and they still eat and drink like champs.

Once I tried rearranging one of my cages and the boys were pretty miffed at me LOL. I ended up putting everything back the way it was...I was just trying to give them something "new" to break the monotony a bit.

Anyway, if you do move things around, especially their food & water, I would just monitor their eating and drinking levels...just to be on the safe side. It may even make your "lazy" guy a little more social if he HAS to come out of the house to eat. I have two boys here that HATE me changing anything and a few that could care less.

I've rearrange Tink's cage on a few occasions and never had an issue. Her food and water and hay have been moved. I did have her food dish right next to her house which was very convenient for her and I hated to move it to another shelf, but she never had a problem with having to go down a level to eat! :)

So if I rearrange things in the cage, such as position of water bottle and food will that annoy or cause them to not eat.

I've done it a few times without any problems.

I have them at the top right in front of their house. The water bottle leaks a bit. It's a good one but when the jump the wire mesh vibrating causing water to drip out and it drips from all the ways up to the bottom and on the wood trim of the self. I want to move it to the bottom so it leaks into the fleece.

So good idea or bad?

and side note: I just got a new wheel. it's great, and they seem to like it. But I don't know if it's the wheel or my cage....it's pretty loud. Loud enough to have to put tv pretty loud to hear and you can hear it all the way into my bedroom (of course our doors aren't the greatest either). anyway to make it a little more silent?

I think that depends on the type of cage you have. I have an aviary (bird cage) that I use with my boys. It is solid and very sturdy, when they jump around, the cage does not move or vibrate. I also just installed a chin spin onto it and I don't hear it unless I am right up to the cage. At first I thought that they were not using it at all, but I have caught them on it, so it's pretty silent.

I LOVE re-arranging my chins cages. I do it probably once every few months. They seems to like it, they like exploring what to them is a totally new place. There seems to be no problem with them finding the new food and water. The only one that gets upset when I go into one of those modes, is my boyfriend (he has to come help me tighten everything because i'm not strong enough LOL)

I may be lucky and have some layed back chins in this area. I'm not sure. But I would just keep an eye on them to be 100% sure they know where everything is.

I rearrange my girls' cages all the time, and they seem to appreciate the change. I've never had a problem with them not eating when I've moved their food bowls (trust me, they'll find their food no matter where you put it!) If you notice them not eating, put the food back where it was and watch for a day or so. If they're STILL not eating, it's off to the vet with you!

Latest posts

Back