RDZC Z11...etc.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it help to do some range of motion exercises on half baked? Take his limbs and gently move them the way they should be, a few sets a few times a day?

This is what I did with a kit who had a similar problem. I think the kit may have been positioned in the womb in a way that prevented him from moving his lower body in a normal way. The kit here did well. I manually exercised his legs a few times a day and as he grew it got better. By the time he was a few months old it was totally corrected.

I hope your boy does well.

Finally!!! I haven't seen a saga like this since I stopped watching Novellas (Spanish soaps). Cangratulations on the babies!! I'm glad all are well and I will be praying for little halfbaked. Little guy sounds like a fighter. Bet he out wall surfs all his siblings. Give momma a hug for me (the chin one and the human one). :mother: Yay babies!

:congrats4:

Welcome, little ones!! Tab, they are so beautiful, sending thoughts and prayers for little "Half-Baked", such a sweetie!!!:heart4:

Woo Hoo! I can't beleive that I got the date right (on my 3rd try, lol)! Congratulations, Tab. The babies are adorable. Hopefully, little half-baked does well. Get some rest, girl.

Thanks again everyone! I'll have to take some more pictures of them all after cage cleaning tomorrow. Jimmy is nice and dry and fluffy now and one of the better nursers out of the four babies. He figured out since he's small and low to the ground he can wiggle to the back and nurse on one of her nipples in the back. She's also very protective of him and helps him get back underneath to nurse. If I take him out and put him back she grabs him and shuffles him underneath her, lol. He's also figured out moving around the cage. If he can't pop his butt to where he needs to go he just starts rolling. He is such a sweetie though and looks so darned healthy I really think he'll be just fine. :D

I guess he was in that position crammed in the back and couldn't move his legs so they stuck like that! Hopefully they relax

Tabitha sounds like such a good mommy to her babies. I can't wait to see pics of them all growing. Jimmy is such a little cutie.

CoNgRaTs!!!

Oops. I meant Artemis. :err:

But it sounds like Tabitha is an amazing mom to her "babies" too. :)

Tabitha sounds like such a good mommy to her babies. I can't wait to see pics of them all growing. Jimmy is such a little cutie.

CoNgRaTs!!!

When range of motion is done...ah, the correct terms aren't coming to me right now it's after 1am. Well to exercise the joint you need to hold opposite sides of the joint you are working. For instance to extend his legs and help him you do not simply hold his ankle and pull his leg straight. I would start with holding his pelvic/tummy and with the other hand/fingers on the thigh do gentle circular range of motion on the hip joint. Next hold the thigh and calf and do flexion and extention. Obviously you don't do a circular motion on the knee joint. Next hold the calf and foot and work the ankle which does have flexion, extension and a bit of a circular motion. Next do flexion and extension on his toes. Be careful, don't use any force esp. at first. I would first practice on a person then maybe a healthy chin once before you do Jimmy. If you have any questions ask me.

Last edited:
Congratulations - WOW....and maybe that's why Artemis was holding on for so long - she knew Half-Baked wasn't quite ready. Sending relaxing thoughts to you and Artemis...and healing thoughts to the little half-baked guy (as well as his littermates)

Back