raccoon babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

I recently started volunteering with a wildlife sanctuary that takes in orphaned an injured raccoons (you can find a link in my signature) anyway, we got our first babies of the season and I thought I would share some pics because they are soooooo cute! They were found in an attic by a critter removal company. Their mom was scared away and did not return to pick up the babies and a good hearted person who worked for the company brought them to the sanctuary. Anyway, here are the pics!

rac2.jpg

rac3.jpg

rac4.jpg

rac5.jpg

A friend of mine used to raise stray raccoon babies. She loved loved loved them.
Ill have to show her these pictures!

They will be released when they are old enough. The sanctuary sits on a large plot of wooded land so we are able to release them right on the property.

It is amazing how loud this little babies are, they can't see or hear but man can they talk! Here is a video (this is not from the sanctuary I work with) that shows you how loud these babies can be! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-dl1hRS688

That last picture..oh my gosh.. they're so adorable!!
Thanks for sharing. Can't say I've ever seen a baby coon.

I had a couple of friends that raised raccoons from kits. They are like cats... until they mature. Then they get mean.

we have had raccoons on our deck going after cat food, up to 6 or 7 of them at a time...momma, pop, and babies, and I find them fascinating but I do try to discourage them from coming on the deck to keep my cats safe and to save myself from having to buy endless bags of cat food since they are pigs! But I've never seen them so small before! Those babies are adorable, and I hope they thrive for you!

Oh my god they're so cute!!

I once found raccoon youngins in the middle of the road in heavy rain once. They wouldn't get out of the road and they ran and licked my shoes. So I stupidly let them in my car after I waited for like 45 minutes for them to leave or mom to come, while directing oncoming cars out of their way and they played a bunch and I brought them home after calling 911. I realized my mistake and brought them back early the next morning and brought them to where I thought they came from. But not before I took a picture on my horribly low quality phone camera!!

coonbaby-1.jpg

I was raised with coons when I was younger. I loved them! They are so cute, they followed me around everywhere and explored everything with me. Some day I would love to raise a couple more. :))

They are adorable! I've never seen babies so young but I was lucky enough to have a neighbor as a kid who raised them for a wildlife center. One of my earliest memories is getting a warning nip for trying to give one a hug. Didn't stop me from loving them though. Best of luck with the babies!

Awww, how stinking cute! Crazy to think how fast they get mean, isn't it? lol

The babies are lovely, truly. However, I would never dare handle a wild racoon in my everyday life (outside of a wildlife sanctuary)

I imagine most of people working at a rescue would be familiar with the health issue, but most of 'ordinary' people aren't aware that racoons carry a potentially deadly parasite (roundworm called Baylisascaris procyonis).
http://dpd.cdc.gov/dpdx/HTML/Baylisascariasis.htm

Here is a paragraph describing the proper removal of racoon feces, should you find them on your property:
(Source http://nwco.net/044-wildlifediseases/4-2-RaccoonRoundworm.asp)
If you're working in an area that's contaminated with raccoon feces, wear a proper respirator, rubber gloves, rubber boots, and disposable coveralls. Because the eggs are resistant to common disinfectants, the feces and any contaminated materials should be burned. If that's not feasible, double-bag the materials and bury them deeply.

Contaminated clothing can be double-bagged and discarded, or washed in boiling water with bleach. Scrub rubber boots with bleach and a scrub brush. Clean traps before storing, to remove feces while they are fresh. Traps and other equipment that can withstand the heat can be flamed. If that's impractical, clean with boiling water and bleach.

I remember my grandma feeding raccoons on our porch. The momma would walk up and here would be her little babies following her. It was so cute! My grandma would never be able to touch them (not sure if she tried to) but she handed them different types of foods and they were happy as can be!!! I loved so see a piece of bread in their little hands. ;)

Those little babies are just so darling!!! Thanks for sharing!

Latest posts

Back