Rabbits and Chins.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie_2013

Would it be bad for my chin if I had a rabbit in the bottom part of her FN 142 and left her in the top part? Of course it would be sectioned off. Please help me out:)

In my opinion, that would be way too close for a chin to be around a rabbit. Rabbits can make chins very sick. I'm sure that others will elaborate on that...but it's not a good idea. Chinchillas need to be kept in a completely separate space from chins...at least several feet away to avoid the chins from becoming ill.

Okay, thank you. Looks like I'll wait on a rabbit. Might not get one at all. I would much rather have another chinny. But I can never find a breeder around me. What dO most breeders charge to adopt?

Chins need to be kept in a seperate space from rabbits she means....nice one Susan :p haha

But, as far as I can tell the sicknesses that chins can get from rabbits are really bad...I think someone said incurable (not entirely sure) it's best not to risk...TO me thats like being in the same room with someone who has chicken pox and praying you dont contract it...

also, it can depend on if its a rescue or not! Ernie was a rescue so I got him for only $45...

Okay, thank you. Looks like I'll wait on a rabbit. Might not get one at all. I would much rather have another chinny. But I can never find a breeder around me. What dO most breeders charge to adopt?

If you can't afford a adoption fee then you can't afford a chin. Why :wacko:you think chins should be free is beyond me.

Last edited:
I don't see her saying she cannot afford another one or where she is expecting one to be free unless I missed a post in a previous thread.

Just adding this for info. :)

Rabbits can carry pasteurella which can (and, sadly, does) kill chinchillas - most rabbits carry it in their bodies without it causing problems but if it is passed on to another animal then it can kill.

In chinchillas it usually presents as a respiratory problem and the chin can be dead within a matter of hours of seeing the first signs.
On necropsy lesions are found internally on the liver and other organs.

This is what pasteurellosis does to a rabbit (warning - graphic photo content) - http://www.lbah.com/rabbits/pasteurella.htm

Merck Vet Manual on Pasteurella - http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171317.htm

Some people will tell you that the risks of cross infection are low and that there is no real problem because they have kept chinchillas and rabbits in the same place with no problems - personally I would not take the risk - just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Katie,
That will depend on what animal you want and willing to pay for.
Two options are opened to you... Responsible Rescues and Responsible Breeders, you have several of both on this forum.
I emphasize on RESPONIBLE for both.

Prices, if I am not mistaken, at Rescues they vary I believe between 50-75$, Breeders vary between 100$+ depending on what you would like it can go up to several hundred dollars. Although at times you will see breeders culling. Then you will see older pedigreed animals available for 50$+.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back