Rabbit food?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pellets you feed your chins?

• Total voters

EmilyLiliLove

SassyChinchillasRescue
I have heard rabbit food is OK for chinchillas. I was wondering what everyone here thinks. I was thinking doing a mix of chinchilla pellets and rabbit pellets. would this be OK?

I used to mix mazuri with purina rabbit Chow show. But the mazuri gave some of my chins loose stool. So now I just feed Purina Rabbit Chow show.

I don't personally feed rabbit food but only SOME rabbit food brands are ok for chins, such as the Manna pro rabbit foods, Purina Show rabbit food and Producer's Pride rabbit food to name a few. You'd need high quality rabbit food if you are going to switch, or mix, not just any old rabbit food, most are not properly balanced for a chinchilla so you'd have to research the ingredients and percentages of nutrients to make sure it's right.

Personally I wouldn't mix pellets, I'm unsure what the point would be since that would probably throw the nutritional balance off. If you are going to switch to a high quality rabbit food instead of chinchilla food, just switch completely, once you've transferred them to the new food slowly over time that is.
If I had more chins I might consider switching to rabbit food since cost per pound is cheaper on the large bags of food, but for me the cost isn't too bad with currently only having two chins.

I have never tried it but I have heard of it causing significant liver problems for others.

Not all rabbit foods are safe/healthy for chins. They need to meet specific nutritional requirements. I use Select Series Pro rabbit feed for my girls. I did use them for my boys at one time, but since chico was diagnosed with diabetes, he needed a food with as little to no sugar as possible. And most food makes use it at least as a bonding agent. So my boys are on AMD Allfy chin food.

I feed, and have fed for years, Purina Rabbit Chow Show Formula. I have never had any issues with liver problems, not have I heard of anyone else having them from this feed. My chins are very healthy and look fantastic.

We switched to Purina Rabbit Chow Show Formula after our pet store was consistently out of oxbow. We have used it since early summer and my three are doing great. Our youngest gets an upset tummy easily and he is doing great on it.

I wouldn't do it. I will only feed Chinchilla pellets. He is a Chinchilla after all lol.

I know of someone who rescued a chin that almost died of liver failure from rabbit pellets. She doesn't trust the said "ok" brands either.

Latest posts

Back