Quilling Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

catahstrophic

Sonic seems to be going through her quilling stage. I've noticed many quills around her cage, but no bald patches, so I'm guessing this is what this is.

How long does the quilling process usually last? And are her adult quills sharper than her baby ones?

How old is Sonic? Quilling usually occurs a couple times in a hedgehog's life but the most drastic one seems to be before they are six months. If Sonic is older than this, than she very well could be having an adult quilling. Either way, there is no set number of weeks for quilling. Some hedgie's quilling may only last two weeks while others may last for months. Personally, my hedgie's quilling was over two months but she did not seem particualy grumpy during this time period so I was free to play and interact with her. And I do not believe the adult quills are any sharper than the baby ones though in a baby quilling, the quills may change color. If you want to provide Sonic with some more comfort, an oatmeal bath will allow Sonic to be a bit more at ease and much more relaxed!
Hope this helps!

One of my boys (Tritan) is about 4 months old, and is still quilling pretty bad. His sisters have stopped now for months, but poor Tritan is still hurting. I try to leave him alone a little more than normal, and I give him a soothing bath about once a month with some olive oil. Watch out for those quills too, they hurt to step on!

Sylvie is now at 9 months & still quilling (mind you she was a late starter). As frequently as I find lost quills I see new ones growing in.

Sylvie is now at 9 months & still quilling (mind you she was a late starter). As frequently as I find lost quills I see new ones growing in.

Has it stopped and started up again? Or has it been constant quilling?

Some(not all) hedgehogs will quill around a year old.. Who knows.. Maybe Sylvie isnt late.. maybe she is a little early!

Latest posts

Back