Quick question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann1

Hi, recently i purchased some wood for my chinnies. I found out later on that the person has ringworm which i know is highly contageous. My question is this; is it possible that my chinnies could get it from eating wood that was handled by someone with it. I don't think it is but i would hate to take a chance with my herd if there was any possibility. Thanks

I guess it's possible that it could have some spores on it, but it probably wouldn't cause a problem. There's probably an extremely small chance that it would be contagious to the chins.

It's always better to be safe than sorry, I suppose. I'd probably go ahead and use it... Maybe you could scrub it again and bake it? I'd think that high heat itself would kill any spores... hmmm..

I've read that heat doesn't kill spores (but you might want to double check) and since there is no other way to disinfect the wood I'd throw it out and watch your chins carefully. You could also sprinkle some Lotrimin in their dust baths as a precautionary measure. A breeder gave me that advise as a way to avoid contracting it after taking chins to shows. So far I've been lucky and not gotten it here (yet....knock on wood). Have you considered asking the seller for a refund since the wood was contaminated?

That could be true. Fungus is hard to kill..you have to scrub it off of everything and rinse away the spores completely. It's so much different than bacteria, of course.

Tinactin knocks it out very quickly if a chin does happen to get it. Just a little in the dust has always worked for me. :)

You can boil and bake houses that have been exposed to fungus and other illnesses, then leave them in the sun to dry. I don't see why that wouldn't work with wood as well.

I was told any time I have to deal with fungus, the very best thing to kill it is hot sunlight. Boil it, bake it, then throw it in the sun.

I am the seller, and yes i did have ringworm, but i never touched it since it was on my forehead except when putting medicine on it then i washed my hands really well after, but my brother was supervised while he boiled and scrubbed and baked it and all i did was pack and ship it

Hmmm well i have quite a few chins and wouldn't want to take any chances. Im not saying it is contaminated, i just asked if there was a possibilty that it could be would it effect my chins.
I've never had a fungus here either (knock on wood) and would like to avoid it if at all possible.
I will definately use some tenactin just to be on the safe side and re-scrub, boil and bake.

A couple more quick questions; how would you know if your chins had it? What are the signs? Can you see it on their skin? I've decided to just toss what's left. Thanks

Back