Questions on shipping chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistywaterwoman

Pooper Scooper
I'm asking in the breeding section because you guys are the ones with experience in this department...

I am trying to make arrangements to have a chin shipped from Albany NY to New Orleans this month.

I went with Continental (now United) because I saw you guys recommending them as the one to use, and they were helpful on the phone BUT I have a couple of questions...

Are Ryerson carriers "airline approved"? The woman on the phone was reading off the specifications for small animal carriers to me and they were insane - wooden sides with wire mesh lining, metal roof, fiberglass solid bottom, etc. Am I supposed to find someone to hash together this wacko carrier, or if my breeder shows up with the standard Ryerson one, will it be accepted?

Also, the checklist I downloaded says that the animal needs to have food and water access in the carrier. I'm sure we can put some hay and pellets in there and maybe attach a water bottle on the outside, but is all that really necessary for a 6 hour flight?

Any advice or tips from any of you that have done this before would be most welcome.

I just had some animals shipped from Nebraska to Albany, NY. We used Delta and shipped using the shoots carrier. The only thing we had in the carrier was hay. Airlines did not have a problem. You may want to contact mark miller. He's got experience shipping through the airlines.

Continental/united made me ship them in a "modified" small cat carrier (had to line the inside where the openings were with wire). They told me (for that specific airline) that the shoots and Ryerson carriers weren't within their guidelines.

I always use the Shoots carriers (cardboard on the outside, metal mesh inside), alfalfa blocks inside and small transit water bottles from KW cages. I have used Delta and Continental many times all the way to Canada and all over the US. I don't think either of them require health certificates now, but that could change at any time so always check ahead of time. 4 sides have to have an UP sticker that has an arrow pointing up and also LIVE ANIMAL stickers on 4 sides. I always put a heat stroke warning sticker on the carrier too. I use the shipping tape with the threads in the tape, (it's stronger) to secure everything closed. Check to see if you can use pine shavings (I had to use that care fresh one time when shipping to Canada). Shipping from and to the PET CARGO building is so much easier than having to go to the actual airport. I haven't ever lost an animal shipping either.

That's what they are telling me as well, at least over the phone. I think I will call Delta tomorrow and see what they tell me... :p

Thanks!

Around here, the Ryerson carriers are the only ones I can ship in. Sometimes I might have to modify them with more ventilation holes, or a bar added to the back, but the initial carrier itself is the only type of carrier I can ship in or out with. The airlines won't let me ship with a cat carrier here.

That is with United Airlines, Air Canada, Alaskan airlines, Delta, etc...that I have shipped through in the last 12 years I have shipped chinchillas (in or out.).
They never accept any other sort of carriers unless I get custom wooden ones made, that are in likeness to the Ryerson carriers.

Edited to add, that I included the IATA act regulations for shipment carriers for chinchillas. These are their newest regulations on shipping containers, for shipping in or out of the US.

Attachments

• page1.jpg
    page1.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 15
  • page2.jpg
    page2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 7
  • page3.jpg
    page3.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 5
  • page4.jpg
    page4.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The woman from PetSafe e-mailed me the October 2011 IATA Carrier Requirements and I haven't read them yet because she sent the PDF in upside down format, so I have to print them and then I can read them. :p

However, they do look different from the ones you attached, Serena... I just don't want to chance having Christiane get to the airport and they reject the carrier. :/

Oh, mine are from 2009, but I was told they had not changed anything?

If they've changed something, it is possible they could be different? It's just these were direct from the US Fisheries and Wildlife and it is what I continue to be told to refer to when I ship out at this time to the US. They have not provided me with any different rules or new rules that are different at this time.

Sometimes you can get other carriers shipped out, but I've had on more than one occasion, where a carrier was accepted here, and got as far as Toronto, before it was held and was refused to be shipped out of Toronto or back to me (yes, they can do that, if they don't approve of the carrier at any point during the flights.).

It was pretty scary, but luckily a friend at Air Canada, would call in a friend in Toronto to go out to the airport and fix the carrier up for me, to continue to abide by the regulations, so then the chinchillas could still get to their destination.

The Ryerson carriers were and have been the only ones they have never said no to. But like previously mentioned, sometimes, they've made me put more ventilation holes on them, or they've required it, in a stop over in Toronto.

If they choose to stop the carrier, they won't return the chins back to you, or send them on their way, regardless where in the world the carrier is, until an approved carrier is used. Sometimes you are able to get chins out in an unapproved carrier (I've received cardboard ones from the US before.), but no one here will accept them if I was to try to ship in those.

Your best bet is to talk with the Fisheries and Wildlife and the airlines themselves.

She just scanned the IATA 10/12 edition and sent it to me. Like I said, it's upside down so I haven't read it yet, but it's only 2 pages and has some diagrams on it, so things are definitely different.
I'd be happy to e-mail them to you if you want to see them for yourself, just to have a newer copy.

I've personally only used Delta to ship because they come in to the Lafayette Airport. I don't have to go to BTR or Nawlins to pick them up.

Delta will take pretty much any type of carrier. We just throw feed in the bottom with the shavings.

Here's a picture of the 10 hole ones, they've been in use for about 10 years now and have probably flown more miles than most people...

Attachments

• ShippingCrate.jpg
    ShippingCrate.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 45
Jim Ritterspach used to use ones like Spoof shows in the picture but recently they were rejected and he had to come up with an all new type of carrier to satisfy the newer regulations the airlines have implemented. I know his new ones have the wooden sides and some other modifications to them to make the airlines happy.

Thanks Kara for bring this up. I'm curious to hear what people's experiences are with this.

She just scanned the IATA 10/12 edition and sent it to me. Like I said, it's upside down so I haven't read it yet, but it's only 2 pages and has some diagrams on it, so things are definitely different.
I'd be happy to e-mail them to you if you want to see them for yourself, just to have a newer copy.
Can you post it on here?

jags, what changes did Jim end up having to make? Mine haven't been rejected yet, but I also haven't shipped since March due to heat. My shipping season will be opening up next month.

I use Delta and Continental/United for all my shipments. I've sent and received shipments this year in cardboard wire mesh, aluminum, and wood wire mesh carriers. The one thing I've learned about shipping chinchillas is the more questions you ask the airline representatives, the more difficulties and regulations you end up getting. Basically, the carrier has to appear sturdy, well secured, the chins have to have ventilation and room to turn around. Food and water are only required if there is going to be a overnight stay at a airport during trip. I put a handful of hay in the cage for each animal when I ship domestically.
Most airlines state that a health certificate is required on their sites but, I have not needed any for all my domestic shipments on Delta or Continental/United. When I use the Shoots type cardboard wire mesh cage I secure every lid with fiber strapping tape and then usually go all the way around it end for end to completely secure. If using the aluminum Ryerson type carrier, I would wire or ring clamp the doors to secure them. That seems to be the airlines biggest concern is that the carrier is sturdy and well secured. The person at the cargo desk usually just looks over the carrier, weighs it and slaps the stickers on it. All of my International shipments have been through Continental. They do require health certificates, the carriers are enclosed aluminum with waterers. Every countries rules and regulations are different for shipping and receiving chinchillas. When I receive my Denmark shipments, I just show my ID, sign my name, and take them home. It has been very easy and trouble free for me receiving animals here in US.

I'm attaching the file to this post, I hope that works. It's still upside down so you guys will have to print it to read it, lol.

It sounds like Jim ran into the same problem I am having. I'm going to call Delta today and see what they tell me. If they will take the regular carriers, I am going with them.

Just as an FYI, United quoted me $169 to ship one chin in a small carrier, which is the weight for 0-9lbs. And they told me that I don't need a health certificate either.

Attachments

• United Carrier.pdf
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for weighing in, Mark - we posted at the same time and I am just seeing your reply...

My concern is what someone else mentioned earlier, that if the carrier is accepted in NY, when they get to the Chicago layover, someone there may reject it, and then I'm screwed. :/
My object is to get her here as fast as possible so that she's under as little stress as possible, obviously. If I use the United flight, it's just under 6 hours of flying time which would be ideal.

I'll let you guys know what Delta says later.

Ok, I spoke with Delta,and the guy assured me that they have to follow IATA regulations as well. He did say that it depends on the airport you are using, and the handler you talk to at the time (on what they will accept), and he made it sound like someone who has previously accepted our "standard" chinchilla carriers might be more inclined to still accept them, but that the guidelines had changed and they are supposed to be following the rules everywhere. He also confirmed that if someone approves a carrier at the drop off point, it could fail inspection at any point along the route.

He did, at least, explain WHY they want it the new way... they prefer cat carriers lined with wire inside, because the standard cat carriers have the middle rim sticking out all around them (where the top and bottom clasp together) and the thinking is that, if during transport, some other cargo gets pushed up against the carrier, no air holes will be blocked. So, that makes sense, but.. :/

If Jim or someone else is making wooden ones that conform to the new IATA rules, I hope they will eventually sell them to other breeders to use, because this is going to be a royal PITA to have to jury rig a cat carrier...

Just a thought, but I wonder if they would accept a regular chin carrier put inside of the cat carrier? I think a 2 hole would fit, may have to separate cat carrier,set chin carrier inside then reassemble the cat carrier.

I actually have an almost all wire carrier here, I think it might be from Quality Cage? And I was thinking the same thing, it would probably fit inside the cat carrier.
Christiane says she thinks she can manage this, so I'm hoping!! For your sake, too, Dana, lol... ;)

Actually, I will use a show cage, in the cat carrier. Steady it with wires and use fleece pillows to steady Ruby in the show cage. I will be able to put a water bottle, feed and hay and no mess.
The cage and carrier openings will be securely tied down.

Back