Questions for College Students re: stuff to bring

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

Hey guys,

As I head off to college in a month, I am starting to shop around for things to bring. My roommate and I already have a tv, fridge, and microwave, and we have beds/desks obviously.

But what about the little things that you wish you had or found helpful?

Did you find that you needed binders and if so, how big? What about bookbags? Normal backpacks or over the shoulder bags?

Really I'm just looking for suggestions/tips for things that you wish you knew when you started college, things you found helpful, things NOT to bring/do etc...

Kitchen stuff kitchen stuff kitchen stuff. :) As well as a comfy couch!

Kitchen stuff saves you money in the long run, finding the time to cook instead of buying fast food pays off. Dishes, silverware, pots, pans, kitchen gizmos, etc etc. That's the biggest mistake I made - moving out unprepared to feed myself. :D

I agree, kitchen stuff! Closer to the start of the school year I've seen all sorts of Target-type places that have the "kitchen in a box." All of my male friends loved having me to cook for them sometimes :thumbsup:

ETA: Get a good planner. As far as binders/backpack, it all depends on what you like best and how far you'll be walking. I liked the spiral 5-subject notebooks.

Where did you decide to go?

Are you in a dorm or an apartment?

I'll assume dorm since you say started college, ours wouldn't allow offsite living the first year.

I brought my computer, clothes, backpack, some art supplies and a deck of cards. Good thing because with both the beds 'down' there was no walking room. :p

No kitchen stuff as there was no room, and the dorm was vintage 1964. That meant only one outlet on each side of the room. We had the option of a fridge/microwave combo but didn't need it. Hall dining was livable - and you don't have to do your own dishes.

The only time I thought "I should've brought X" was dental floss. I forgot it, and the closest grocery store was a 4 mile walk. I probably could've taken the bus but I was too much of a wuss to figure out how the bus system worked the first year. :D So I suffered without floss until I went home on break.

I agree with Tia, the spiral 5-subject notebooks are awesome. If you have a really big campus get some good running/walking shoes.

Where are you headed to?

I don't live on campus, but I have an over the shoulder bad that I love. It holds so much stuff. Definitely get a bag, binders, and folders within the binders to keep all of your stuff organized. I found that extremely helpful. Also, I know that people living in dorms find those under-the-bed organizers very helpful to keep their things organized and out of the way. You can get those at walmart even.

A nice container to carry all your bathroom things like shampoo etc is great too, assuming you don't have a bath connected to your dorm room.

I had a laptop so I had a lock that connected to my laptop which was great because my roommate never locked the door..

A rug if it's not carpeted is nice too

It all depends on your study style, as far as school supplies.

In college, the profs don't care how you study, for the most part. They don't even care *IF* you study. So figuring out what works for you as far as taking notes, doing the reading and suggested assignments, and committing it all to memory is important. I ended up finding that taking notes into notebooks, then transferring the important part (by hand) onto new sheets of paper (usually somewhat color coded) and keeping those in binders worked well. Other people I knew would take notes into the syllabus, class handout and/or textbook. Some people took notes and then used flash cards. Some people liked taking notes onto their laptops. I spent my first 2-3 years of college trying to figure out what the best way to study *for me* was.

If you take too much, you have to live with it til you're able to go home. If you don't bring enough, you have to live without (or buy it) til you go home. The basics are all there - but everyone has different "requirements" :p My school had suggested lists of things to bring, as I recall.

* Make sure what size beds you have, whether you'll need the extra long twin sheets or just regular ones. I prefer jersey knit sheets for the dorm b/c there wasn't any temperature control beyond "open the window/shut the window". Jersey breathe well, and you can throw a heavy blanket or two on top if it happens to get anywhere below 100* in your dorm. (Mine never did, except the year I lived in the basement.)
* Get Big Towels! Even if you're in an all girls no co-ed bathrooms dorm, you *will* be surprised by a guy wandering through the hallway while you're on the way to/from the shower. Take soccer sandals or shower shoes, and find a plastic basket with holes in the bottom for your shower and bathroom stuff, so you can take it right into the stall with you.
* Don't forget curtains, and a floor mat or rug for near the door to keep wet shoes and snow away from where you walk around in your socks. (I *hated* stepping in the side walk salt I'd track in with bare feet!) An inexpensive rubber-backed one from a Dollar Store was sufficient for us.
* Milk crates and tupperware storage containers are a god send, especially small ones that will fit under the beds or in the bottom of the closets. Go to the Dollar Store for them, you'll probably save a ton.
* Tool kit should include: Zip Ties, duct tape, packing tape, scotch tape, tweezers (for splinters), phillips head screw driver, flat head screw driver, and a wrench or ratchet for putting the beds together. You might also need a hex key, depending on how your beds are made. When I was getting ready for college (waaaaay back in the summer of 2000 ;) ) K-mart had a tool kit with all of this stuff in it for about $12. Between having that, a first aid kit, and a package of Hershey bars in my fridge, I was christened "the floor mom" for being the most prepared for dorm life of anyone on my floor. And I lived with sophomores and juniors who'd been there, done that before me.
* If you don't already use a bank and a pharmacy with branches in your college's town, do the transfer stuff now. Make sure your birth control, allergy medication, etc. have enough refills to get you until Thanksgiving or Christmas break if you'll need to see the doctor to get more. If you're on a controlled medicine like for ADD, you might actually have to get a doctor in your college's town to get the prescription monthly. Check with your insurance if you do.
* Do you know how to do laundry? Time to learn if you don't, and don't forget to pack laundry soap, and maybe a drying rack for bras and stuff that shouldn't go in a hot dryer. Same with how to pop popped corn (you'll laugh, but we had a number of false fire alarms from people messing up microwaved popped corn) and other simple cooking skills, and read a bus schedule so you can get to stores etc. if you don't have a car. If you're taking a computer, it's not a bad idea to know how to reboot from a restart/backup disc and how to clean out the cache/cookies and run disc clean up, if you don't already know. And have *good* antivirus software. I'm partial to Avast and Spy Ware Doctor, but your school's network might have something specific they install as well. I used a back up anyway, because I was friends with the campus computer geeks who knew the kind of crap that still got through the school fire wall and antivirus protections.
* I used both kinds of bag you mentioned while I was in college, and I found the messenger bag style was better for me. Your mileage, however, may vary. You might end up wanting one with wheels if you're on a big campus. I wasn't, so lugging 30 pounds of books in one bag wasn't a big deal.
* I still use 5-subject notebooks for stuff, and I've been out of that #&!!hole since 2005. :) They're addictive, since with the pocket folders, you can stuff your syllabus and assignment sheets right in with your notes. Once you're done with a class, though, unless it's something for your concentration, recycle the suckers!
* On a little more personal level, if you're going in with a declared major, don't be afraid to move out of it. The sales pitches you get before you're actually a student are just that: advertising and propaganda. It's not until you're sitting in an 8 AM class that repeats almost verbatim what your 9 AM class went over the week before that you realize what you're really getting for all that money you and your folks are shelling out. Don't be afraid to change majors, or transfer to a different school that's a better fit for you if you're there for a while and realize it isn't what you thought you'd be getting. I made that mistake, and it's my biggest regret about my years in college. I could have been much better off at a different school, even though I finally found a major I loved. Most of the stuff you'll learn in college doesn't come from a classroom anyway. The stuff you pick up outside of class from living and working with other people ends up being more valuable in the end than an ugly piece of paper to hang on the wall. Most of my friends that have their "out in four" t-shirts and all that, are working regular minimum wage jobs anyway.
* This dorm is going to be your home for at least the next year; make sure it feels like one to you. If you're allowed, take a pet. Bettas are the dormitory standard and can be a great stress reliever. I'd be glad to PM with you about setting up a tank if you don't keep fish already. A small plant can help a lot with atmosphere and keep the air in the room cleaner. Peace Lilies are very good for that. Also, decks of cards (don't forget the UNO!), a couple of good board games like Clue, Catch Phrase, Apples to Apples, Scrabble, and Trivial Pursuit (great for setting up in a lobby or lounge and getting to know people in the hall), and if you have one of your own, a video game system or DS. A lot of weekends in one of my res. halls were spent having X-box and PS2 tournaments in the basement rec room, and now that the Wii is as wide spread as it is, you might just be able to get away with taking the peripherals and a couple of favorite games to play at a friend's room or something. Contrary to what a lot of school employees say in front of parents, you *will* have down time, and not even the most obsessive student uses all of it to study. Make sure you've got ways to have fun. It makes it a lot easier to survive. ;)

Some things that haven't been mentioned yet: Water filter pitcher, cleaning supplies (Swiffers were great- compact for dorm living and Lysol Wipes), and cheap flipflops for the shower. I had a few small plants that made my room feel more homey. You may want to bring removable drawer liners before you put your stuff in the drawers too.

Be careful of bringing too too much stuff to school, you may not be able to fit it all in comfortably. After some time, you'll truly know what you'll need and what you can fit; You will accumulate a lot of stuff, at least I did. Make sure whatever you bring to school does not violate any fire codes. I have had to tell residents that they could not keep certain things in their rooms (ie: torch lamps, hot plates, multiple extension cords running everywhere).

Your college website should have a list of things to bring and not to bring. Some of the things mentioned on here.. we werent allowed to bring.

We had apartment style dorms. They were fully furnished so we were not allowed to bring furniture except for bean bag chairs or one of those fold up papasauns(sp?). If you can bring fish you are going to want to check the max size tank allowed. You would be surprised how many people I had to write up (I was the RA) for having tanks that were larger than 10 gallons. Also no matter how well they live together frogs, crabs, snails, shrimp and star fish are not fish. LOL

You are going to want a first aid kit and a tool kit.. Like mentioned.. If you can bring a tv. You can get some decent ones at the Good Will or some place similar. Bring a flashlight incase the electricity goes out. Down here we have wicked rain storms so the power would go out every once in a while.

If your bathroom is connected to your room or you have apartment style living BRING TOILET PAPER! You are going to want it on move in day. My university did not supply you your first roll.. Also if you DO have your own bathrooms bring tilex and while you are moving in let the shower/tub soak before getting in. They last time most of those are cleaned is when the last person moved out and God only knows how well they cleaned it. Bring other cleaning supplies as well.

Bring extra blankets and pillows and comfy stuff like that. I had I think 7 pillows on my bed plus myself and 3 blankets..

If you like pictures and such and would like to hang them bring those hooks with the sticky stuff on the back. Most campuses dont like when you put holes in the walls. Also! Take pictures of what the place looked like before you moved in all your stuff. Normally you get a RIF(Room Inventory Form) where you list everything and its damages. But I know my housing office lost some of my residents forms.(Thank God *I* am anal about stuff like that and had my own set of copies.)

And I want to reiterate on the meds. Get your supplies now in case you dont have a pharmacy close by. Most(if not all) campuses have a clinic with doctors but those clinics dont take insurance. So if you want your meds cheap get them ahead of time. And if you need to see the on campus doctor and have an current or past issues have your records transfer over ahead of time. Remember to get femine product and condoms.. if you dont need them... a roommate or neighbor will! (As the RA I went to the clinic for my residents once a week and brought them condoms to their dorms. I would key in and leave them on the counter. I also had a large fish bowl on my counter for anyone who missed the clinic hours. You would be surprised how many people took advantage of that! And how many people are embarassed to actually walk into a clinic!)

On top of all the great ideas listed...SEWING kit! You won't regret it!

You may also want to bring a fan to get the air circulating in those stuffy dorm rooms if you don't have AC.

Another thing-- If you wanted to hang hooks, frames, mirrors, etc to the wall, I would suggest using 3M Command Strips. They are strong and are easy to remove without leaving any marks or residue on the walls. Poster tack (blue or white colored sticky tack) is easy to remove, but over time it will adhere to the wall. Your school may charge you for the damage during room inspection at the end of the year.

Thanks guys for the great ideas!!!
I'll be attending the University of Mississippi, at least for the first year. I may end up transfering after the first year, but obviously haven't decided yet. Who knows, I may love everything about it and not want to leave. It's a long story, between them screwing up the tuition deal and possibly wanting to change my major.

I just got home from Walmart (going to Bed Bath and Beyond tonight)- got some of those 3M hooks, post-its, indes cards, a planner, picture frames, towels, cups, bowls, plates, forks/spoons, white board/cork board/mirror/frame combo thing... and some little random stuff. There were some under the bed organizers that I wanted to get but I'm lofting my bed so I'm not sure where I'd put them.

I'll be looking for closet organizers tonight, and a curtin for the closet since there aren't doors on there.

We are allowed fish, but no other animals. I'll look up the tank size but I will def. get a beta fish! I've had them before so I know how to care for them. In my roommates words "We'll get a fish... it's no dog, but at least it's better than nothing!".

Again, thanks for the ideas! If you think of any more, please post! They're appreciated!

I think most of the basics have been covered, but there are a few things I wanted to add. First off, I bought binders and brought them to class for the first week, then they stayed at home for the rest of the year. Try to find some of the fold-over plastic/vinyl clipboards. They are light and easy to carry, have pockets to hold more than one subject, come in many colours so they are easy to organize, and they let you take notes and hold handouts that you can transfer into your heavy binder at home.

Another biggie that I ended up buying a few months in was an external harddrive. If you don't already have one, you can find the Western Digital MyPassport ones for $40-$100 depending on size. Especially if you are writing essays and doing most of your work on a computer, it really helps to have a back-up system just in case anything goes wrong.

Also, if you are far away from home and there is a chance you won't go home to visit until Thanksgiving, bring a winter coat. It seems so warm in September when classes start up that many of my friends forgot to bring one.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back