Questions before the little one's arrive!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpal

Hello All!

I am a new member as of a couple days ago and doing lots of research the last month on this site for when I get my two chins at the end of December.

My two male chin's will be 8 weeks old when I get them and I was wondering what I need to do to baby proof my cage? I just assembled my Ferret Nation 142 cage last night and didn't realize how HUGE it is from the picture on the net. Therefore, would it be best for them to stay in one of the sections for the first few months?

I am also going to be making my own ledges thanks to the DIY forum I saw on here. Should I place them in the cage lower for now so they don't hurt themselves?

Also, I saw a price comparison on timothy hay and alfalfa. What's the difference?

According to one forum that I read, since there will be two chins I should have doubles of some things. Ex: food dish, litter pan, water bottles. Is this true?

Last question (for now), the wire spacing is quite large and the plastic pans are a no-no from what has been posted in the forums. So this past weekend (black friday), I picked up blizzard fleece and was going to sew my own liners. Do I just place the fleece liners over the plastic pans, on top of the wire or is that for when you purchase the bass pans?

**If you have any other tips for me I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks or taking the time to read through all of this!

-Allie

8 weeks old could be an iffy age IMO. Id want to make sure they are weened and capable of being on their own (away form momma) before bringing them home.

Also, the size of every chin will vary, just like us. But you will definitely want to make sure they cant escape form the cage. It can be hazardous and potentially deadly depending on how and the location. Also don't forget even as their getting a little to big to fit through, doesn't mean they might not try. And if they do, they could get stuck.
Chins are also good at being tricky little guys, just when you think their to big, they go and surprise you.

That being said their are different ways to go about it. You can try cardboard. (Thats what i had to do but it comes with its own challenges.. especially when my babies learned to climb the FN bars) Theirs some kinda wire mesh or something that can go on the inside of the bars. I'm not very familiar with that so you'll have to wait for another member to explain that one. Or you could of course get a temporary cage that is baby proof.

As for one level vs two; Generally, in my experience, if your sure the kits arnt capable of fitting through the bars, then you can open it up to two floors. If they can fit though, then keep it one. If an accident should happen, you don't want them falling from a higher height.

You can also put various items through out the cage. Ledges, safe hammocks etc. Its not uncommon for a baby chin to be a little clumsy. And items like that could help break a fall if they slipped up. (little bit less of a concern if you use two floors of the FN like its advertised. But some ppl take out the second floor. That where this would rly come into play)

Having two food bowls and two watter bottles etc, is a good idea as well. It can help reduce any fighting in the cage over them. Even well bonded chins can suddenly have problems so its often helpful to do anything you can to prevent such behavior.

As for fleece liners, i don't have any personally. (I wish i did) So some other owners that are using them might be able to provide more insight. Bass pans might fit them better. but i don't see why you couldn't use them on the plastic pans they come with. (iv used litter on them just fine in the past).

The only thing id take into consideration is size. The plastic pans they come with are a hair shorter then the actual cage bars (designed for easy in and out) Plus the pans have that hump on the edge to keep things in. My girls will use corners primarily, but not near a corner, they will get up as close as that corner as possible. So if you make a liner to fit that tray specifically, it might not be as effective. You might wanna consider making them to fit the cage itself rather then the tray. (but still just lay it on top of the tray) As i said, I'm not using them ATM, but that would be my observational take on it.

I have a fleece liner over the plastic pan of my cage. Works great!
And from what I've been told two of everything is a good idea, including hidey houses!

Hello All!

I am a new member as of a couple days ago and doing lots of research the last month on this site for when I get my two chins at the end of December.

My two male chin's will be 8 weeks old when I get them and I was wondering what I need to do to baby proof my cage? I just assembled my Ferret Nation 142 cage last night and didn't realize how HUGE it is from the picture on the net. Therefore, would it be best for them to stay in one of the sections for the first few months?

You can wrap the cage in 1/4" x 1/4" hardware cloth. Keeping them in one section of the cage would probably be best until they're at least 6 months.

Also, I saw a price comparison on timothy hay and alfalfa. What's the difference?
Most pellets are alfalfa based, so feeding timothy hay is what is recommended.

According to one forum that I read, since there will be two chins I should have doubles of some things. Ex: food dish, litter pan, water bottles. Is this true?

I've been lucky in that so far, I've not had any chins that have been protective over those items, but I do have extras of everything just in case. You can start with one, but be prepared to need two.

Last question (for now), the wire spacing is quite large and the plastic pans are a no-no from what has been posted in the forums. So this past weekend (black friday), I picked up blizzard fleece and was going to sew my own liners. Do I just place the fleece liners over the plastic pans, on top of the wire or is that for when you purchase the bass pans?

Be sure to wash your fleece prior to sewing. You can lay the fleece over the plastic pans, make it larger so it folds under the pans, or make them pillowcase style where the pan slides into liner. You do not want to put the liner over just the bars, as this will not provide support for the chins when they're moving about the floor of the cage.

^^ good advice from Laura there.

just wanted to add, for any sewn fleece items, you want to ensure the seams and threads are all hidden and the chins can't get at them. if you google 'sewing a hidden stitch' you should be able to come up with how to sew the hidden seam/stitch.

I agree with Laura on the hardwire clothe. My newest one was 9 weeks old and I have him in a martin lounger for now. He will totally escape if he is in the fn cage due to the bar spacing.

You can wrap the cage in 1/4" x 1/4" hardware cloth. Keeping them in one section of the cage would probably be best until they're at least 6 months.

Why 6 month old before letting them have two floors of a cage?
From what iv seen, by the time their old/large enough to NOT fit through the FN bars, they can handle themselves pretty well with jumping around. And if you actuly have the second floor tray in their the way it was origionaly desidged to be, and slip would be a minimal distance. (The same as if it were one floor)

I made my own fleece liners.... I made them a tad bigger than the plastic trays and just laided them over the trays. I have enough stuff in their cages setting on the ground to help hold the fleece down, but someone told me you can use binder clips too.

In terms of alfalfa...When I had my guinea pig I was told that alfalfa was much richer than timothy hay and could cause the them to gain weight fast. Also I think there are additional issues with chins. I actually don't feed alfalfa....I rotate between timothy hay, orchard hay and botanical hay.

Hope that helps!! Good luck with your new little ones!

depending what pellets you feed them determines which hay you give

I give mazuri (which has alfafa) so I will need regular hay

as for covers, i think it's a great investment i make the pillow case style
i pulled out the plastic pans traced it out
add seam allowance and give

make two panels for the bottom

flip inside out and ta dah!

Back