questions about critter nation cages

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im looking at the critter nation because I like the horizontal bars better than the vertical one which is why I am leaning toward this one instead of the ferret nation. Does anyone have this cage and how does it hold up? Does it do well with a chinspin in it. I have the marshall ferret mansion right now and I hate the little tiny door I have to try and squeeze through to clean his cage. Also it would be nice to have a place to keep his dustbath, food and hay by his cage instead of taking up space in my closet.

Thanks

Hi, I have the CN cage and I also have a Chin Spin and it works perfectly well with the cage! It is a pretty sturdy cage, I do however have about 2 broken bars on it probably from something heavy being attached to it, but I've had it for a few years now and it's still in great condition!

I have CN cage with a chin spin in it for 2 yrs now with no problems. I love how sturdy the wheel and cage is. I did add wide washers to space out the weight and make it more secure.

thanks for the replies. I just ordered one off amazon and got it for $223 with shipping so I couldn't pass it up for the double unit. Its going to be a little bit smaller than his current cage, but I think he will adjust well to the CN.

I have both FN 142s and a CN 162. The critter nation has several bars which have been broken, but patching it is easy enough with some hardware cloth and some J clips. My personal preference is for the ferret nation cage as the bars are more sturdy, at least in my experience, and I prefer the more open visibility with the wider bar spacing. However, keep in mind if you have a very young chin you'd have to wrap the ferret nation in hardware cloth anyhow. With mine I spent about an extra 100 bucks on hardware cloth and fender washers, bolts, and nuts to cover a double ferret nation. One other thing that I would warn about, and its not a huge issue, is that if you use the large glass super pet water bottles the tube is just a little bit too big for the bar spacing on the critter nation. It will go in, but takes a little effort and I always worry that I'm going to snap the bars off with it. If that were to happen though I would just patch it again and then it would be fine, but its something to think about. Really though I'm sure you'll be happy with either one. They are both fantastic.

Back