Question on Ingredients in 200 Billion Count Acidophilus

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachydays

<--My sweet girl Gregory
Romeo went to the vet yesterday for what turned out to be a sinus infection (he had a watery eye....I can't tell you how glad I am that it wasn't dental issues!)

Anyway, he was prescribed oral Baytril (.25 mL twice per day). He did eat last night, but I gave him some CC this morning just to be on the safe side. I've also gave him Lifeline after each dose (he's had 2 so far) Romeo is a rescue, and very underweight (only 430 grams; I can feel his little bones). I'm trying to do everything I can to help him get through this, so I went out to get acidophilus just now.

I bought some that has a 200 billion count, since most of what I've read on the forum has said that 30 billion is sufficient, but that there's no harm in giving more than that.

I wanted to run the ingredients by you guys before I give it to him though.

Thanks, as always!

Calories - 8
Calories from fat - 0
Total Carbohydrates - 2 g
Dietary Fiber - 2 g
Soluble Fiber - 2 g

FOS (fructooligosaccharide) - 2000 mg

Bifidobacterium bifidum (Bb-02) - 84.5 billion
Lactococcus lactis (LL-23) - 32.5 billion
Lactobacillus acidophilus (La-14) - 30 billion
Lactobacillus rhamnosus (Lr-32) - 20 billion
Bifidobacterium longum (Bl-05) - 10 billion
Lactobacillus casei (Lc-11) - 10 billion
Bifidobacterium breve (Bb-03) - 7.5 billion
Lactobacillus plantarum (Lp-115) - 4 billion
Lactobacillus salivarius (Ls-33) - 1 billion
Lactobacillus bulgaricus (Lb-64) - 500 million

FOS (fructooligosaccharide) - 2000 mg <--- that is sweetener and that would be the only thing that would make me a little nervous.

Any extra probiotic is good, you really can't overdose on that. However, it may not be completely necessary because the majority of it would probably be eliminated as the chinnie makes his droppings. Still, the more that is available in the supplement, the more will probably be retained as the chin digests it. (I always wonder how much is killed off in the stomach acid when the chin eats it...)

Is this a powder or is it in capsules or caplets?

FOS is a sweetener but it is also considered a prebiotic. Its a 'food' for probiotic organisms. Some also feel that it promotes calcium absorption in the gut. It also has a dietary fiber effect as well. Here is a link to some quick information about it: http://www.dermaharmony.com/ingredients/fos.aspx

I've run across this product as I see it mentioned occasionally when researching nutrition.

Interesting Julie. I would have thought the same thing as Susan, that it would do more harm than good.

It's good to have a foodie checking up on us! :)

Susan - It's in a powder form.

Julie - Very interesting! Thanks for the information.

Even though it is a prebiotic that would help the probiotics, I'm wondering if I shouldn't find another form of acidophilus that has a lesser amount of FOS, since at the end of the day, it is still a sweetener.

Prebiotics are very good though...they supply the probiotic with, basically, food and help to establish a good environment for them to thrive. (I have this theory about giving lots of hay with probiotics because I think it works the same way as the prebiotics.)

What is the dosage amount? If you have to feed too much, it may not be worth the extra effort...but if it's just a little bit - maybe a 1/4 tsp or less, then maybe it would be easy enough. What I like about using the capsules that I can pull apart easily is that there is so little to get into the chin all at once.

Back