Question about size

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle43

I adopted my 2 year old male from a friend almost 2 months ago. Before then I didn't know much of anything about chins. I see people talking about weight a lot and I think I need to figure out his weight. What is the best way to weigh him?

I was shocked when I went to the pet store and their standard male was out of his igloo for the first time. He is twice the size of my chin, who I think is a mosaic. Is that normal? He is the first other chin I have seen in real life.

You can buy an inexpensive digital gram scale from the kitchen section of a Wal-Mart, Target, etc. Now getting the chin to stay on the scale while you measure is a whole different story!

I got my digital scale at Harbor Freight on sale. It has grams and lbs. It has a tare button on it also.
I take the chins bath house and put some sand in it. I weigh it empty & write it down.
I take it to the chin and he climbs in and I turn it up so the opening is straight up. I put my hand over it so he can't jump out. I put it on the scale and give him a minute to quit flopping around and weigh him. I subtract the empty house number from the one with him in it and you know how much your chin weighs.
The bath helps to distract them from being enclosed in something and they don't struggle to get out as much.:0

I got mine for 12 bucks at tuesday morning. I just cup my hands around the chin while they settle down. It also has the awesome tare option so I can weight other things like food and dust aswell. Good luck!

Back