Question about Hay =]

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayluh

I've moved to a different state and been looking around for a farmer or somewheres I can get my chin hay from, usually I just get oxbow. I contacted a farmer whos about an hour away and they sent me an email back saying "The bales have anywhere from about 10-20 % of red clover, and 24ish% of timothy, have some alpha, orchard grass."

What I'm wanting to know is if the red clover in it and some alpha is okay for my boy :p Thanks.

Last edited:
Okay thank you very much, I know that orchard and timothy is ok but was'nt sure about the others in it. This would be my first time buying from a farmer.

I would try it, I feed some alfalfa and it works for my chins, some people are totally against it though.

You just need to make sure that red clover blossoms have dried properly.

I actually like when hay contains several grasses, some legumes, dandelions. I don't know if this hay is organic, but the farmer does not use chemicals to kill legumes. Chins like variety in their diet and it encourages them to eat more hay. It's what animals find in the wild - variety!

He told me its all natural and that the horses, rabbits, and goats love it. I think I'm going to go check it out and see. In the picture it all looks good that he sent.

I get a bale of hay from a farmer here. They tell me it is grass hay (I assume they mean orchard grass) with some alfalfa. I tend to pick most of the alfalfa out when I put it in Idgie's cage. It is easy to see it. Sometimes I see some clover heads and I pull those out, too. I'm sure that once in awhile she might get a bite of things that aren't grass hay, but I'm not obsessive about it.

My chins love clover! It's the first thing they pick out to eat.
I found the most wonderful alfalfa/orchard mix that I thought I'd give a try since it looked amazing this time. The chins love it too. It's a nice change from the usual timothy which they have barely touched.

I'm all for what Tanya said about variety.

Latest posts

Back