Question about FN cage...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alli713

..has a fleece addiction
Alright, question for all you FN owners!

I found someone selling one in my town, but they unfortunately took out the middle pan thing to make it one big cage for their macaw.

However, I need two cages as my girls don't get along.

What is in the middle of the cage normally that holds up the pan? Is it something bolted to the cage or is it a separate piece?

So I'm just trying to figure out a way that I could separate the cage as he doesn't have the other pieces. If I can't separate the cage I can't use it.

Anyone got any ideas?

I just put my FN142 together this weekend.

There is a wire grid that goes into holes around the sides. The wire grid goes under the middle pan like an open shelf to support the pan. The wire grid for the middle is exactly the same as the shelf grid and the roof grid. The roof grid is just a different color to match the cage.

You could use the shelf grid in the middle. The shelf grid does make the legs more sturdy though. But you might be able to call the Midwest company and order a grid for the middle directly from them.

Hope this helps. I have their phone number that they tell you to call if there are any problems with cage parts or assembly. I can post it later tonight. I would imagine you can get replacement parts.

Last edited:
You may want to ask around or post an ad to see if anyone saved the wire grid if they left it out. If not, and if the FN you're buying comes with the under cage storage shelf, you could take that wire grid out and use it to separate the cage.

What if you took a few wooden shelves and used that to support a Bass metal pan? The pans fit in there pretty snugly. (Or do what was suggested above.) ;)

Last edited:
Oh dude, you guys are awesome! So I can use the wire grid from the storage shelf then if he still has that part? I don't need the shelf, as I want a 3 story cage, so I'll buy the FN 143 add-on and won't use the shelf or else it will be too high, and kind of top heavy.

Then I just need the metal pans from Bass.

Yep, the wire grid from the storage shelf should fit just fine. :)) If I were to ever get a 143, I would take it out any way. All you have to do is leave out some of the bars on the bottom and it takes out quite a bit of height.

I agree with the idea that you could place wooden shelves at the height you want the pans. The pans do fit in very snug. You would not need the wire grid at all.

If the cage is not assembled or you have to take it apart to transport. Make sure that you do not lose any of the small parts. You need the connectors to put it together right and all the screws and washers too. One connector for one corner would not go in and I had a very difficult time assembling my new cage.

Okay, well thanks guys!

Turns out I don't think I'm going to get it anyways. When I looked at the price of the FN 143, it's more than the cage itself, and then the pans.. So we're going to make them some new cages.

Latest posts

Back