Question about dry ears

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searchand_dstry

Smush's ears have gotten worse and worse this winter. He usually has the driest ears out of the bunch, but they are REALLY bad. I have tried both bag balm & pure vitamin E oil without dust baths for a few weeks, but it isn't really helping.

I'm wondering if it could maybe be something other than just ordinary dry ears and if it's not, what should I do about it? I'm thinking about just sitting with him and using a little vitamin E oil to rub the flaking skin off. Do you guys think that'd be ok? I'm just worried about it being raw although they don't seem to bother him at all.

Here's a pic of them.. well.. one haha. Sorry for the messy shelves I hadn't cleaned yet.

200w9cp.jpg

EDIT: What about using vaseline? Would this be safe for a chinchilla? I know when I get a really dry patch of skin in the winter I'll put vaseline on it for a few days.. so maybe that would help?

Last edited:
Buttons has really dry ears as well. I started putting Bag Balm on them and they look so much better. A bit will get in their fur, but with some baths it got absorbed and now his fur looks good as new. I have been putting it on once a week.

Buttons has really dry ears as well. I started putting Bag Balm on them and they look so much better. A bit will get in their fur, but with some baths it got absorbed and now his fur looks good as new. I have been putting it on once a week.

See, I've tried the bag balm before. It helps a tiny bit then they get dried out all over again, no matter what.

Are you doing it once and then stopping, or are you continueing with the bag balm until the dry skin is gone?

Hi, dont mean to steal the thread but who can I get bag balm from?

You can get it at most stores. Walmart carries it for sure. I believe most pharmacies also carry it. If all else fails, call your local feed store.

I couldn't find it at my WalMart but they had some other Udder Cream or something. I found my bag balm at Tractor Supply Co.

Is babyoil or mineral oil safe? One of my babies has super dry ears too. I wouldn't think that this is a major problem. I also wouldn't advise withholding dust baths for weeks.

I've had a chin with dry ears also. I used Neutrogena "oil-free ultra-gentle facial moisturizer" based on a suggestion I saw on the old forums and rubbed that into his ears. That, and reduced dusting frequency, did the trick. It took a few weeks with an ear-rub every few days.

Back