~ Question about "Death Balls"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am about to make a post about this....but yes I found out today that there is one animal it is good for...penguins!!!! A zoo in Washington uses them for their penguins to have a good enrichment activity....they fill the balls with fish and then put the lid on and put the balls in the water....this encourages the penguins to swim in the water (if they don't swim in water they become dormant on the ice and get bumblefoot)...it also helps the penguins forage for their food!!!

For their intended purpose? No, but you can use them for many small animals that don't chew plastic for houses/swings/etc.

Honestly, my adorable hamster Hannie loved it. I used it at night and I put her on the Hamtrack race track. I didn't keep her in there too long, but she seemed to really enjoy it and didn't want to come out :)

I used one for my mouse, Jumper, several years ago. I never felt her get hot or have trouble breathing (are they really that bad for mice?) I never kept her in there long and I took her out most nights but rarely put her in the ball. I mostly would just let her climb on me in my room sectioned off. She lived over three years and was healthy until she died.

I put my hamster in his when I am cleaning. I dont put him in it anymore, because I think he is going blind and banging around wouldnt be fun. But I think for a hamster as long as it is size appropriate it is ok.

I always wondered if they could be used for birds at all. Take the lid off, and drill a bunch of holes, get some bird chain, and string wood, etc onto them to swing off of??

I actually think that my lovebird would love something like that to nest in if she'd ever get used to it. Poor Griffi takes years to get used to new things.

I'll try this! I emailed the one who said they wanted them for penguins but I never heard back from them.

when I first got my first chin he came with a ball. I used to use it as a transporter, then I learned of all the dangers, then I had to hit my self with a newspaper and say "bad chin mommy, bad!" i never thought of putting them in the cage like that. I almost threw them away when I found them while cleaning. i thin Im going to try that swing thing.

Latest posts

Back