Question about bird toys?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rach_leigh

I wondered if bird toys were ok for chins? If the product lists the wood it is made of? I also saw a box of shredding bamboo strips that you can cut and hang? I wasn't sure and wanted to ask first. Some of the toys look really cool!

I did order a bunch of bamboo shredders, toad stool, whirly-gig and willow items froms camphorchins since my pet store didn't have a great variety of toys. I will be shopping online for most of his items, which I don't mind doing...LOL!

Just curious!! Thanks!

Some bird toys do contain hardwoods (maple, oak etc) but if it lists the wood you should be safe. Just stay away from the plastic,rawhide and cotton ropes that many bird toys have. I believe the bamboo strips are pretty much like the shredders. I have not tried them but have wanted to. There is probably someone here that has used them before. :)

If the wood is a chin safe wood, and most bird toys are, it should be fine. Just make sure there is no plastic and the material they use is safe as well (rope, metal, etc).

I have purchased a few toys from the pet stores but mostly from forum members. I think you should be fine if like you said, you know what wood they used for the toy and most bird toys are chin safe, but as others have said stay away from the ones that have plastic in them.

Is rawhide safe? I thought it might be but I tend to err on the side of paranoia.

Yeah, I am going to stay away from rawhide to be safe. I also think I will stick to the sites of the forum members since they are the experts and make toys and such. I just thought I would ask to see what everyone else did. Thanks for all of your help and replies. You are all so great!

You can't go wrong ordering your toys from Camphorchins--cause they are going to be chinchilla safe. But, i did buy grape wood branch from the pet store (it is on the safe wood list- and the list is here on the forum) and my one chin "Really" likes knawing on it!!
And, of course, anything to keep them chewin' away!hehe

Yeah, I am going to stay away from rawhide to be safe. I also think I will stick to the sites of the forum members since they are the experts and make toys and such. I just thought I would ask to see what everyone else did. Thanks for all of your help and replies. You are all so great!

The items on parrotasylum.com are amazingly great and at a very reasonable price. Just stay away from things you know aren't safe for chinchillas (like plastic and such).

Latest posts

Back