Question about being pregnant and careing for chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

I am newly pregnant. I have had my chin maggie since december. Me and my four year old son are the only ones that know how to take care of her. He gives her sticks and loofahs,plays with her,feeds her,and sweeps up any poop she throws on the floor. But i clean her cage everday,am i risking anything by doing this?! I know i have to be extra careful when scooping the cats litterbox but what about the chin poops? Is there any danger?!

I wondered about this when I was pregnant. I was told the only thing I had to avoid was carrying any heavy poop/bedding bags to the compost bin!!

I second Susan's post. I've had 50 chins while being pregnant and had no problems. I was also hauling 3-45 gallon bags full of dirty shavings up the stairs to the trash can and carrying 50lb bags of feed down the stairs. I wasn't worried at all. I never changed my routine while I was pregnant. It helped me keep in shape.

Thank you that makes me feel better :)
Now i gotta figure out what to do with my crazy cat.
He has now started throwing his kitty litter on the floor and then peeing in it. Its going to drive me crazy.

As others have said there isn't danger with chin pee or poop. Also with cats it's mostly with outdoor cats pee/poop you need to be careful around when pregnant. If you wear gloves or just use a broom you should be fine.

Currently PG. I haven't changed how I clean or care for the chins in anyway. Only downside for me is their downstairs and being 3rd tri it's getting harder to go up and down the stairs. LOL

I had 100 chinchillas with my last pregnancy took care of them up until the day i gave birth and cleaned cages the day we came home from the hospital. I am up to 150 or so chinchillas and expecting again...still going strong

I don't want to freak anyone out but when I was pregnant I was told to be careful around rodents because they can carry lymphocytic choriomeningitis. Has anyone else heard of it?

This article does not specifically mention chins, but they are a rodent. I wonder if there has ever been a documented case of transmission by chinchilla?

http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/lcmv_rodents.htm

When this becomes something for me to think about Im going to talk to my dr but I think I will opt for wearing a mask in addition to washing hands and showering after cleaning cages. Not just for the poo sake, but the ammonia from urine and dust from the bedding/dust can't be that good for you. I am sure it's very low chance of any issues but I have caught wild mice in my chin room before and as would most other breeders at some point. I'd just rather be safe than sorry.

When I researched it the only reports I could find were for mice and hamsters. I erred on the safe side and started wearing a mask and gloves. I've never seen any wild mice in my chin room so I don't know if I was over doing it or not.

DONT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE!

Its very dangerous to have chinchillas while pregnant.....to your purse!
You'll be "nesting" and buying more fleece sets than you can possibly use until the baby is in kindergarten.

I have this on good authority.

Back