Question about Animal Number/Brand

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arf2184

Say you get a female chinchilla from someone and she turns out to be pregnant. She has a kit at your place but it was not from your breeding.

What ranch brand/number do you assign that kit?

In this case, is the kit MARF A4 (my brand) or RSF A??? (Ronda's brand, where mom was bred)?

The way it was explained to me was that YOU have to be in control of the breeding of the animal in order to put your branch brand on the animal. This means you have to take part in pairing the parents, not just have the baby born at your place.

The only ways around it I've heard are acceptable is putting your brand on a baby with the previous breeder's permission or if you purchase both parents. Otherwise, the person who paired the parents should have their ranch brand on the kit(s) and take credit for their breeding.

I've heard different opinions on this subject. Ranchers I've spoken with led me to my opinion. Of course, if there is an agreement with the person who bred the chin that their brand should be used then their brand should be used.

I would not use someone else's brand without their permission.

I have bought a few pregnant females over the years. The kits born at my house had my ranch brand. that is what the ranchers suggested, they don't need to worry about 1 number when they have many many born daily.

It is like still borns many people don't number them, only the live births. There is no right or wrong answer so it is best to ask the person you bought from when in doubt

I've always given my ranch brand to all kits born here, even if the mother was already pregnant when she came. They sold the mother, they sold rights to her kits as well, unless there was an agreement otherwise (which I've also done).

That said, I usually sell the kit to a pet home because it wasn't from a pairing I chose. But it does retain my brand in my records.

Any chin born at my place is given my ranch brand, regardless if I bred it or not. That's just what I was told by some ranchers to do since they have so many born on their ranch to number.

I know some also don't number their stillborns (and I've heard of some who don't number kits until they are weaned) but I do so that I have a record of them. That's also the easiest way for me to keep track of things... and it's used in the stats I run at the end of the year (total kits, male/female percentages, kit mortality rates, etc.). Just personal preference, I suppose.

Use yours, for the reason Kristy said - it'll mess up Ronda's numbering system. Let me guess, it was that awesome BV female?

Latest posts

Back