Question about a tan kit

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuddlebug

I have a 16 week old light tan kit. He has a ring at the base of his tail that is dark tan and after the ring, the top of the tail is almost white. This kit has absolutely no white in him. His sire is a medium tan and his dam is a homo beige. Any one ever see this before?

Can you post pics?

I have seen some tans whose color was very light and uneven as youngsters and some areas looked practically white. Once they got older, their color became darker and more even.

I had a chin that was born a tan color all over except the tip of her tail was white......a year later she is all white

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get the pictures for you, but here they are. I included a picture of him when he was 4 days old. Note the the tail was one solid color (a dark tan). This is also the same kit that has a dark tan belly and a much lighter tan back and sides.

Attachments

• tailpic1.jpg
    tailpic1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 59
  • tailpic2.jpg
    tailpic2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 55
He's just changing color/shades on you. Tans can look a bit funny as they grow up...going from dark to light to dark again, sometimes with patches or speckles of darker fur here and there. They usually even out by the time they're done.

That's normal, I think I posted it before, but you can see it happens in my tans as well. They normally darken to their tail color, then the tail will turn white as they lose the baby fur.

Thanks, guys! I knew they will change colors as they grow and I had seen, but forgotten where, the dark belly thing. I just never saw that change in the tail with any of my other tans.

Orlando Chins, I sold the little fella and his brother to a nice young couple yesterday. I ma really gonna miss those two boys. They are both very pretty and extremely friendly.

Latest posts

Back