Quarantine Cage Advice Needed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachydays

<--My sweet girl Gregory
I am thinking about getting another chinchilla, and in true to me fashion, am carefully considering all aspects of this decision.

I'm making a list of all the supplies I'll need to get, so that if I do decide on another chinnie, I can slowly buy the supplies over a few months, and not have my wallet hit all at once.

The new baby's final cage would be a QC Townhome, and I'd rather quarantine in something smaller than that because of the room in my house that I would quarantine in (the office). Do you guys have any advice on a "good" quarantine cage?

I'm considering one of those Super Pet cages, or perhaps a QC Condo... Anything else I should think about?

I think a Super Pet Cage would be just fine for a quarantine cage Shayna. If you know you already have a different forever home cage in mind the quarantine cage doesn't have to be anything fancy IMO.

I have used the SuperPet cages many times for quarantine. I agree, nothing fancy is needed for a house that's only going to be used for a month. Check your local craigslist. You can probably find a decent cage for super cheap.

I used a QC collapsible travel cage as a quarantine cage. It was big enough for the young chin, and after introductions, I still have it as a travel cage when I go home.

When the chin fairy dropped off 3 chins at my house last October, I had them all in an All Living Things (28.5"x17"x15.75") guinea pig cage with one fleece tube and a hidey house and they were fine until their new FN cage came in a couple of weeks later.

ETA: Yay on you getting another chin! ;)

Last edited:
Jer, this one? http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=643

In your opinion, would it be big enough for a fully grown chinchilla? I'm not sure yet if I'll get a just weaned babe, or an adult.

I used a QC collapsible travel cage as a quarantine cage. It was big enough for the young chin, and after introductions, I still have it as a travel cage when I go home.

I have 2 of these and I LOVE THEM!!! Lady lived in it for a solid month while we were home for Christmas, with no problem. She's a 600g+ chunker and she's used to a QC Mansion and chin spin. She just got extended playtime every day and was fine. In addition to the shelf and hot spot I added a hidey house and fleece tube. She had plenty of room for food, toys, and moving around. If you ever need to travel with chins I highly recommened these cages. The cage and shelves all fit inside the base when it's collapsed for easy transportation or storage.

Too late to edit my previous post more but here are the 3 boys in the quarantine cage that I had...

4f57fab9-1.jpg

AHHHHHHH SANDI they look so cuuuute in the cage!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to sleep on it and decide later.

PS - Sandi, I'm not 100% sure I'm getting another one, probably around 96.5% sure right now. ;)

I just wanted to compliment you on doing the research and saving before you get the chin! All of my chinchillas came from breeders and were used to smaller cages. For that reason we don't feel too bad during quarantine because it was what they were used to. I felt it gave them time to get used to me without having to adjust to having a huge cage at the same time. While I go to biggest is best a lot of chinchillas live happy lives in smaller cages.

Just trying to get used to the lingo and everything....is a "quarantine" cage a cage you use for the first month before you introduce a new chin to your current one(s)? And trying to figured out that process since I'm considering getting a second as well...how soon after the quarantine could you put the 2 chins in the same cage together?? I'm assuming there would need to be some introducing during play first and some side-by-side in separate cages before putting them together...

Just trying to get used to the lingo and everything....is a "quarantine" cage a cage you use for the first month before you introduce a new chin to your current one(s)? And trying to figured out that process since I'm considering getting a second as well...how soon after the quarantine could you put the 2 chins in the same cage together?? I'm assuming there would need to be some introducing during play first and some side-by-side in separate cages before putting them together...

A quarantine cage is a cage in a completely separate area of your home apart from your other chins. It is generally recommended to quarantine the chinchillas complete apart from another for 30 days. After that time is up and the chin has had no problems, you can start attempting introductions. The amount of time it takes chins to live peacefully in the same cage can take weeks, months, or never happen at all.

Jer, this one? http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=643

In your opinion, would it be big enough for a fully grown chinchilla? I'm not sure yet if I'll get a just weaned babe, or an adult.

I'm also thinking about this (obviously with the wheel taken out) http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Fir...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1297101329&sr=1-7

I have that super pet cage and it is a great quarantine cage. I use it with the plastic ledges and have no problems, the ramps and wheel are trashed though. The cage is just the right size, imo. I wouldn't pay that price for it, though. I got it for free. lol

I have a ferret Barn..a little travel cage I use for ill chinchillas to keep them out of the room and for quareentine when necessary. It is nice cause it can be easily taken outside and power washed. I also brought King in this to national last year since he was being handfed and have used it when I need to take chinnies somewhere for a weekend. It is great

http://www.legacycages.com/index.php/ferret-cages/barn-travel-cage.html

Back