PVC tube question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess32247

I've looked at the DIY thread, but it didn't help much. What kind of things do you use to hang it up with? Bolt, wing nut, and plate on the outside, but what on the inside? I would think the bolt would come lose or poke through the fleece uncomfortablely without something covering it. Would another wing nut on the inside work?

Any help would be great! :)

Wow, I feel like a dummy! Just read somewhere that round head short bolts are what to use.

Sorry, I got it covered now! LOL

I use carriage bolts (like 90% sure that's what they are called).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

I also use carriage bolts, with another washer on the inside, I have no problem with the bolt getting flush to the bolt on the inside, it probably depends on the size bolt you buy.

Where'd you guys get the PVC? I went to Lowes hardware store today and they had 6" by 8' PVC for $45, but they didn't custom cut/reduce prices. Obviously I'm not going to buy 8 feet of PVC when I only need 2-3 feet.

I think theres a plumbing store in town somewhere, so I can try there and Home Depot. We're going to see if one of my mom's friends has some that we could buy off him first though.

I think I have the other hardware sorted out, thanks a bunch for the help!

I was wondering where everyone gets their PVC as well. The Ace Hardware by my house doesn't carry the 6" and they don't want to order some so that I can have just one foot of it. Menard's doesn't cut to size. There's no Lowes or Home Depot around here either. (I live where Menard's has their corporate offices and almost a monopoly on home improvement.)
I got a 4 inch piece that Ace had as a scrap for pretty cheap, but it was way too small for my fatty boys, so it's going to my niece's rat.

I haven't seen a 6" PVC Pipe that wasn't like 8 feet long. If you can't find any short enough, you could always just use one of the large "Chubes" from a pet store. They are like 6" X 10".

I am using a chube right now, but I messed up when I drilled the holes in it, made the holes to big. I don't think a round head bolt thing would fit the way I want it, even if it did I'm worried it would fall.

I used to have one with a chube, never had any problems. I had it for about a year. Are you covering it in fleece? If so, you can just re-drill and the old holes are hidden!

Yup, I have it covered in fleece! Guess I should give it another shot and re drill the wholes but put the correct bolts in this time. I'm worried it would come loose eventually though, right now I have ledges holding it up. How did you have the chube hanging, from the side or from above?

Using large washers could help stablize to make you worry less. 1 1/2 inch should do the trick (inside and out if you want to really make it sturdy.

Back