Preparing for Baby Chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashleynicol3

I'm getting a baby chin next month. He'll be ready around June 18th, but we're moving to a bigger place the weekend of June 28th, so I've asked the breeder if she'll keep him for me until then so I don't have to move him twice and cause him any additional stress. (Plus, we're having some trouble with our air conditioning, so I'm afraid it will be too hot for him. The new house will be much cooler!) I went to high school with the breeder, so I feel very comfortable buying him from her. I've attached a picture of him - he's the one on the right. I believe he's a black velvet. I think I'm going to name him Loki. :)

Anyway, I've ordered the Midwest Critter Nation Double Unit from PetSmart.com, so that's on its way. I've also ordered the Silver Surfer exercise wheel. I've ordered some wood shelves so I can replace the plastic shelves in the Critter Nation if he starts to chew - and I'll remove the ramps too so his feet don't get stuck. I've got Oxbow alfalfa food and I'll get him Oxbow Timothy hay as well... I've got wood chews and some Vitakraft dandelion treats. I've got a plastic igloo for him to sleep in, although I might return it for something made out of wood instead. I've got a lava ledge and a ceramic food dish and a glass water bottle. I also got CareFRESH bedding and a small animal carrier to bring him home in. I think that's everything... I might have gone a little overboard. :) Oh yeah, I got blue cloud dust and a dust bath house as well.

Is there anything I'm missing? I want to make sure he has everything he needs!

Also, since he's a baby and since the breeder has been handling him, I'm hoping that will make it easier for me to handle him (once he gets settled, of course). What do you think?

One other thing I'm concerned about is the hair ring thing. Do I have to check him monthly? Do I wait until he is older? How do I go about doing that?

Attachments

• 983828_567765179910643_1984337308_n.jpg
    983828_567765179910643_1984337308_n.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 37
Hi Im quite new to the ownership of chins so you might not want to take my advice. i however have been doing alot of research about them and I think I am telling you right when I say I wouldnt put such a young baby in such a tall cage. I have read that tall heights can kill a chinchilla if it happens to miss a jump. ie from top ledge to bottom. I think it would be wise to close off one of the levels on the CN until he gets used to his environment and until he gets older. I have my 2 rescue girls in a single level FN for the time being until they get used to the cage. They are however 3 years old so that could make a difference. I am just trying to provide my thoughts with you. Good luck! :)

That's probably a good idea! I wanted to go ahead and buy the larger cage because I knew he would need it eventually and it is cheaper of you buy the double unit rather than the single unit and the add-on later, but I think I will close off the top part until he gets a little older. A smaller cage may help him to adjust better when I first get him anyway.

I would recommend aspen bedding but the big shaving type, cuz my chin would eat her bedding from time to time. The paper one that expands would also expand in the stomach. Also that version is really expensive for the amount given, kaytee carefree.

Get rid of the Vitakraft treats; they're not good for chins whatsoever. Also, get a wooden house instead. You don't want to risk him chewing the plastic and the problems that can arise from that. Otherwise, Oxbow feed and hay are great. Pine shavings are much cheaper than CareFresh and are just better all around.

As for hair rings, I rarely have to check my boys. I only check if I see them grooming that particular area more than usual. Its pretty apparent when they do have one. Just learn his habits early on and you'll be able to catch it if he does get a hair ring.

Thanks! I'll just use the CareFRESH I bought for my hamsters then. What about corn cob bedding if I can't find pine? I know I've seen that at PetSmart. I'll get rid of the Vitakraft treats. I heard raisins were bad because they have so much sugar in them, so should I just stick to plain Cheerios for a treat?

No treats at all for kits under 6 months of age and ditch any treats that Vitacraft makes once the chin is old enough. They are loaded loaded with things chinchillas should not have, like dairy, fruit, nuts, seeds, veggies and honey. Plain cheerios and Shredded Wheat make good treats for chinchillas that are old enough for them.

I give my girls crushed rose hips for treats or old fashioned oats, but not until they were 6 months or older. How old will your boy be when you get him? If he is tiny you could keep him confined to one level of the cage and keep the shelves you put in to replace the plastic ones at a low level so if he did fall he won't get hurt. In reference to my comment about replacing the shelves, plastic is bad for chins and can kill them because of blocked bowels. If you weren't planning on replacing them I would strongly recommend doing so and getting metal ferret pans from bass equipment so they have no plastic to chew on.

You should also hold off on the wheel till your baby is around six months, they need their energy to go towards growing.

I ordered some Super Pet Sleep-N-Ledges to replace the plastic shelves in the Critter Nation. I don't know if that will be enough as I don't have the cage yet - it's supposed to come tomorrow. I can always order more. I have one lava ledge right now, but I'll get more of those also.

I'll hold off on the treats until he's six months old. I know she said he would be ready 6/18, so I assume he would have to be at least eight weeks old? I'm planning on asking her about his DOB and all that when I go to pick him up.

I'll also keep the wheel out of the cage until he's old enough. Just wanted to make sure I had everything ahead of time!

I also ordered him a fleece hammock from Ridge Chinchillas and some Super Pet Fiddle Sticks hideouts.

Ooooh I have been having fun making ledges...they are suuuper easy to do (and cheaper) Lowe's cuts the wood for me...I get 3/4" thick wood cut into 34" sections (for the entire back of the Critter/Ferret Nations and I get it cut to 22" for the side shelves...get a few quarter inch hanger bolts, fender washers and wing nuts and voila shelf heaven...

Apparently the Sleep-N-Ledges I ordered are discontinued, so they refunded me my money. Now I'm not sure what to do for ledges. What you said above sounds easy enough, but what kind of tools will I need (to get the bolts in or whatever)? I'm not very handy, but I've spent a TON of money already on the Critter Nation and all the supplies, so I don't really want to order a bunch of shelves and have to pay shipping on top of that.

What width do you use? Like, how far out does the ledge go for them to sit on? Also, do you think Lowe's would drill the holes for me? I don't have a drill. :/

I got the Critter Nation today and the bars look so flimsy... Wondering if I should return it to my local PetSmart and order the Ferret Nation instead. Do you think the Silver Surfer wheel will break the bars on the Critter Nation? Ferret Nation is cheaper on ferret.com, so I might end up saving some money.

They will have large boards that will be 3/4 inch x 5" or 6" x many feet wide. They will cut the sections for you but don't think they'd drill them. I would think if you used pine you wouldn't have to drill at all but just screw the bolt into the wood. I drilled mine but I used poplar which is not as soft.

I do use a drill...I have never tried to put the bolts in without one but perhaps you might be able to borrow one or get someone to put them in for you (just takes a couple of minutes to do). The wood I get is just shy of 6" deep.

Last edited:
Great! My mom's boyfriend has agreed to help me build the shelves. I also ordered the Ferret Nation cage and will be returning the Critter Nation today. I think the Bass pans I ordered will probably fit better and the wheel and all will be more secure when I do attach it. Plus, the FN was cheaper.

Your right about the pans fitting. I order a critter nation because it was on sale and got the pans from bass equipment not realizing the cage size was slightly different. They do for but I have to really work at getting one of the pans all the way in. Good luck with your cage.

I was able to return the Critter Nation and the Ferret Nation is on its way! Woohoo! I just found out my boy's birthday is 4/23, which will make him about nine or ten weeks when I pick him up. I'm thinking I should probably get some wire to secure around the outside of the cage in case he's still small enough to squeeze through the bars. I'm so excited!

Great! My mom's boyfriend has agreed to help me build the shelves. I also ordered the Ferret Nation cage and will be returning the Critter Nation today. I think the Bass pans I ordered will probably fit better and the wheel and all will be more secure when I do attach it. Plus, the FN was cheaper.

I have a FN with bass pans and everything fits nice and tight :) Just remember the 6 month thing with treats and exercise. They need all that time to develop and grow bigger. Good pellets and good hay will help that. Believe me, they grow so fast! My James gained over 100g in 8 weeks ha ha! Good luck with everything and if you want ideas for how to set up your FN, there is a whole thread called the FN Club. Congrats on your chinny!

Latest posts

Back