Pregnant or not?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
so as some of you know, when I got Big Momma I was told she was already pregnant. The person I got her from told me she was about two months pregnant, so from what I figured she's suppose to be having her babies any day now. But she's not very big, which bothers me because from what I was told she's always had 2 kits each time, and I haven't felt the babies move, and I THINK I seen them kicking. I looked up videos of pregnant chinchillas with the babies kicking, and it looked like it but I'm not sure if the videos are liable. Her nipples are elongated, I'm sorry but I don't have a scale, the one that we had broke thanks to a 2 year old; My step dad is suppose to be getting another one soon because he uses the scale as well for measuring out stuff for cattle.

I'm worried that something isn't going to go right, I've talked to my vets and they told me to just wait it out and if anything happens to call them on their cell. I'm also not so sure that she's big enough for breeding, to me she seems pretty small but I could just be over exaggerating.

I'm also debating on getting one of them fixed, just because they are not happy with me for separating them; and I don't really want more than two chinchillas. Mostly because Rex doesn't seem to do well with other chins besides Big Momma, when I got her she had two kits with her already. Both were male and even though Rex had been together with them for most of their life he still seemed aggressive towards them.

I could just simply have the time line wrong for when she's suppose to have them; either way I'd like a little help from people who have been breeding for a while.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the only way too 100% tell is to wait and see. If she has kits, she was pregnant. If not, then she wasn't. If you notice signs of lethargy, or her just acting off and out of sorts, it could mean there's a problem. But again, you won't know until it happens. Since she birthed the first litter fine, she may birth the second litter without a problem, or she may have an issue. The only way to tell is time.

As for getting a chinchilla fixed? The easiest and least invasive would be Rex, but you'll still need to keep them separate for 6 weeks afterward to allow time for semen to fully die, and to give him time to heal. Your best bet would be to find a vet who is used to neutering rabbits or guinea pigs, and see if they'd be comfortable neutering a chinchilla. There is a thread in (I believe) the Vet Questions section about how our go-to vet neuters chinchillas that you could probably print out and show your vet, as well, for a guideline. And I'm sure the vet wouldn't mind a call to help out another vet. You'd just have to get her info from Peggy (tunes) to give to your vet.

With Kits you just need to wait and see. I can't tell you how many times girls have gone weeks past when I thought they would and gestation isn't 111 days..it is 111-120 days.

Just wait and see. I would get the male nuetered if you insist on putting them back together

It is most definately wait and see....just this month I have had 3 surprise litters...one was twins and the other two single kits...I had been keeping my eye on 2 of them because I suspected pregnancy but they hid their symptoms well....the one with twins was a big surprise...
Just last night I felt the belly one one and never felt kicking...I figured she just wasn't pregnant and tonight I found a kit in the cage...best thing is to just let her be and watch for the signs that were mentioned above

Latest posts

Back