Pregnant chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sykidus

My chinchilla is pregnant and she has about 30 more days until the estimated delivery day. She started out weighing about 600 grams and she's now at 740 grams. This is her first litter and this seems a little high to me. Should we expect a big litter or is this about average?

Weight gain does not tell much about litter size. Some moms gain lots of weight some only a little when pregnant.

I have had my females gain anywhere from 50 to 300 grams. The amount gained does not necessarily reflect the litter size. I had a female gain 200 grams and give birth to a single, 80 gram kit. I also had a female gain the same amount of weight and give birth to quads.

600 is big enough to be bred, although many are bigger.

It was not that long ago that 600 grams was on the upper end of the weight scale, not that weight is the sole determining factor on breeding an animal.

Yah i know when I started breeding 600 was ok although now I know most people prefer bigger......... but there are definitely other factors that need to be looked at too when considering breeding

I agree with the others, I have a tan female who only gains about 50 grams when pregnant and others who gain 200.

My smallest female is only about 480 grams, we call her baby cause she's so small! Of course, we could never breed her.

Back