Pregnancy weight gain

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orlandochins

I rescued a in late January who was being housed with a male. I got her home and seperated her (I rescued both chins). Ever since I brought her home she has not been the nicest of chins....sprays and barks at everything. I knew in the back of mind that their is the chance of her being preggers but I was hoping that it was more the change of enviroment bringing on the nasty attitude (however none of my rescues have ever acted like this- but each chin has their own attitude). Well, I weighed her when I got her and she weighed 654 grams.I weighed her on February 19 and she weighed 735 grams....I was really hoping that it was the new food that was making her gain weight and also I was dealing with Chi Chi's mallo issues and then Chi Chi passed so I kind of put the new girl on the back burner....well weighed Heidi last night and she is now 833 grams!!!! So I am thinking that she may be pregnant. I am thinking that she can give birth as late as May 11. She won't let me touch her and I don't want to try because I don't want her to be stressed. I did get to touch her briefly ( I moved her to a baby safe cage) and I mainly looked to see if her nipples were getting bigger...Can't see her nipples...didn't want to press on her belly at all so no palpitations done....for now I am just waiting it out. I have the number for 3 breeders in the area that have all said they will help me out with anything I need...I have read everything that I can and I have a chinchilla vet on hand if needed. I have the pedigree for both chins and they come from a local breeder that is very reputable...the baby safe cage also came from her. I will be getting supplies for hand feeding as the time gets closer just in case... anyways, starting to ramble

I am curious though what the average weight gain can be for a chin...I know each chin is diferent but just curious as to what others have experienced.

I used to take weights of all my chins at least once a month and those that I believed to be pregnant, once a week. It was very stress-free for them as they would hop right onto the scale when I placed it in their cage, and then they would get an apple stick. I am not at home on my computer right now so I cannot access my Excel spreadsheet but I believe the smallest amount of weight gain was about 100 grams for a single kit litter and 350 was the most for twins. Of the litters of quads and trips I've had, the females gained around 250-300.

Last edited:
You've probably got a combination of good food and pregnancy accounting for the weight gain, and the number of kits is hard to tell, at anytime, during pregnancy!
I don't like to pick-up the "preggos", so I offer a treat and make them stretch up the side of the cage, to view the belly and check for nipple elongation.

For weighing I just put the scale in the cage and they have learned they get a raisin if they get on the scale so they are more than willing to get on the scale.....I have 10 chins and the girls that are caged together will usually push each other off the scale

Was she looking thin when you got her? I think Rick may be right; you may have some of both going on. All of my chins have gained at least 150 grams when pregnant and the one that had quads gained the most at about 400 grams. It sounds like you have everything covered. Just wait it out. Keep us all posted on the new kits, if any.

Lily gained 175g with two litters, twins both times.

Food could be contributing to her weight gain but, I think its safe to say that it can't be the sole reason. I can't imagine that she was that underweight. Looks like you get to play the waiting game now. lol

Latest posts

Back