Pregnancy Questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianKS

I just purchased three female Chinchillas from a local breeder. They are sisters from a December litter and an April litter. The beige girl and the ebony girl could possible be pregnant since they have been living with 2 males that were also born in December. What age do Chins reach puberty? Will I be able to tell before 111 days if they are going to have kits? Also the April born Chin is white with some cream to beige markings and black eyes. What is this color called? All three girls have been held daily so are quite tame.

sorry, but you might want to post with your own starting thing, because generally everyone makes their own thing.......
the only way to tell is with a scan, as chins dont show till the end, also, they are REALLY YOUNG to be having babies! keep a very close eye on them, as they will deffinetley have a much higher chance of dieing, losing the kits, etc!
probally a tan white? cant be sure without pictures.......
and they can hit puberty as young as 8 weeks, but average is 4 months for girls of most colors, and shouldnt be bred however till at least a year, as they are still babies themselves!!

DianKS,

You probably should have started a new thread as you've kind of buried your question here. They could definitely be pregnant as chins can reach sexual maturity as early as 12 weeks and do not know not to breed with brothers and sisters (assuming these litters are related). You can look for symptoms of pregnancy (sleeping on side, elongated nipples, etc) but the only sure fire way is to mark your calendar and wait. You need to move them to a baby safe cage just in case. Read through the FAQ at the top of this section and then post if you still have questions. We can tell you color for sure if you post pictures.

Missed an edit - I should clarify that most times its around 12 weeks - there have been instances of chins very young (I think someone had one at 6 weeks conceive?) becoming sexually mature. It is important to wean male kits appropriately (7-8 weeks or 200gs) for this reason as sexual maturity isn't something that can easily be determined by looking at a chin.

Thank you

Thanks for the info. I do not know how to start a thread. I am experimenting to learn how to post. When I click on reply it lets me fill in this message. I use an Apple Netbook because it is easy to understand but this is the first blog I have tried. I am not ignorant in other areas but have avoided the computer for about ten years since it was addictive and now that I am back do not know what I am doing. I will put Puff in a safe cage. She likes to sleep up high and the cage is 36 by 24 by 32 . I have been checking out the breeding tips and will continue to do so since I do know how to search and read.

DianKS, I have moved your question and answers into it's own thread. For future reference, to create your own thread, go to the desire subforum (Breeding & Babies, General Chin Questions, etc.) At the top there will be a blue button that says "New Thread". Click this button and go from there.

I would really question the "breeder" no reputable breeder would have those girls in wiyh males this young. Your breeder is starting to sound more and more like a backyard breeder from your other posts as well. Watch your girls close they are a bit young to have been in breeding and that may result in an emergency csection

Thank you for the help. We love the chins . I asked the breeder and he said that his 13 year old daughter has been caring for the 18 chins he still has and she didn't separate the litters in the colony. He admitted it was a mistake that wouldn't have happened when he was actively breeding chins. He has separated all the pairs now.

Back