Post Injury Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golly Caiti, poor Chloe, I hope she feels better real soon. I don't know anything about the med the vet prescribed but I know that Baytril will do the job with the URI. My vet would not give me the injectible kind so I had to use the suspension.

Thanks, I hope she gets better too. She's taking off all her scabs now that she can and it's helping a lot. So now there's just pink healthy skin that needs to heal instead of scabs holding in infection. I'm far more worried about her URI and I'm hoping once her cuts don't take up too much of her immune resources, she'll recover from it uneventfully. I think doxycycline is used for URIs in general, just don't know species specific applications.

I have no idea what will happen or how this will pan out but I can't think of anything else I can do at the moment. The little jerk just won't get healthy!!

On a funnier note, I walked into whole foods for the calendula salve and jerusalem artichokes (which by the way are not artichokes at all...?) looking just lost as can be. The only thing I recognized in that store were all the different kinds of beer they had.

On a funnier note, I walked into whole foods for the calendula salve and jerusalem artichokes (which by the way are not artichokes at all...?) looking just lost as can be. The only thing I recognized in that store were all the different kinds of beer they had.

I've cooked with jerusalem artichokes before and tossed them in salads... what are they supposed to do for her? Is it being fed to her? Just curious. Love Whole Foods and hippie doctors, but that's another story!

Hope Chloe shows signs of improvement before you have to leave. I would hate to be in Ireland and not enjoy it!

I've cooked with jerusalem artichokes before and tossed them in salads... what are they supposed to do for her? Is it being fed to her? Just curious. Love Whole Foods and hippie doctors, but that's another story!

Hope Chloe shows signs of improvement before you have to leave. I would hate to be in Ireland and not enjoy it!

He just said they'd be an herbal healing supplement and yes she's to eat them. He didn't tell me how much of one and she actually doesn't seem too keen on them anyhow (took a bite and ran off). He stressed the calendula salve a lot more than the artichokes.

I looked it up and it seems it has some iron, magnesium and vitamins, which would help with resulting anemia from bacterial infections, though I guess it would be like feeding the bacteria also but at least they wouldn't have to get the iron from your blood? I don't really know the logic behind it. And it's made of fiber, not starch which is good. The vet mentioned it wouldn't be like giving her the common fruits and veggies you think of giving small animals and the dangers associated with that.

I really hope she improves also. I haven't heard her wheeze and there's no dried stuff on her nose because she can clean herself now, so I might not have caught the URI if she hadn't had her cone on the whole time. It may have also worsened the wheezing and I'm sure the stress she's missing out on of having it on is helping. She doesn't seem to be digging at her wounds, just cleaning them. I'm definitely going to call the vets office everyday to ask how she is.

The vet mentioned it wouldn't be like giving her the common fruits and veggies you think of giving small animals and the dangers associated with that.

I wonder why? I mean it is still a vegetable with sugars and moisture. I assume you're to give her fresh, I've never seen dried or powdered before. Hmmm.

Glad to hear Chloe seems a little better. You should see if the vet has an email you can communicate through. Calling when visiting overseas can be super expensive!

I wonder why? I mean it is still a vegetable with sugars and moisture. I assume you're to give her fresh, I've never seen dried or powdered before. Hmmm.

Glad to hear Chloe seems a little better. You should see if the vet has an email you can communicate through. Calling when visiting overseas can be super expensive!

I think the thing with fruits and vegetables is the starch--still sugars but they have different bonds than the sugars that fiber is made up of. Certain bonds can't be cleaved by the microbes in the GI tract. High starch content causes bloat in a bunch of animals.

I already got the calling and texting thing under control. AT&T is prorating a monthly plan so actually it's not bad at all. Although unbeknownst to me the texting plan started today and I blew through most of my texts telling my friend that Chloe was being boarded and why and that she didn't have to watch her...

long!!

I see you're back from vacay. How did Chloe do while you were gone?

Haha, yes, I was tempted to make a thread about it but felt weird about making a thread that didn't have a question.

Chloe is ok. We got home last night so she's back in her regular cage and seems happy about it. Her wounds look much better, but she still has a big bump on her foot which I'm hoping isn't a deep abscess but I don't really know what else it could be. I can't see any fluid under her skin. I'm not doing anything to her wounds now as the ones on her torso and chest don't need any kind of treatment anymore. I will probably begin warm compresses on her foot again and see if that helps.

She had something on her nose when I picked her up, but I couldn't tell if it was food crumbs or not, she doesn't have it now. No wheezing. Hoping the URI is gone and I caught it early.

She lost a lot of weight, though. About 80 grams. I know weight gain can be slow so I'm hoping she just needs to get some TLC. She's at 551 now and she was at about 630 at surgery (2/25) and was 563 about 10 days ago.

Besides that, everything else is normal. She's eating, drinking, pooing like crazy. The vet techs said that she was really friendly and sociable.

The vets were really nice to take her but I don't think they knew anything about chins. A lot of her hay is gone, but not a ton of her food (though I can't recall exactly how full the bag was). And I don't know how many chewies they gave her as most if not almost all of them are still in the container I originally put them in but that won't kill her. The one thing that really bothered me was that when they brought her to me, I was putting some of her stuff in the car and they put her on the floor (in her carrier) to check in other clients. A woman and her dog walked out of an exam room and the dog ran to Chloe and sniffed her. I grabbed her right as I was walking back in the building but the dog really could have done damage. It was just two vet techs there and there was a line of people so they seemed overwhelmed and must have just had a lapse in judgment.

They did put up with my FN141 (and she was upstairs, too), all her stuff and my multiple paged instruction print out. They also considerately isolated her in an unused office since I guess they put small animal boarders in the cat ward. They figured she wasn't too fond of cats and I agreed, although I wouldn't have let them board her in there if she was healthy anyways. They gave her her meds, treated her wounds and she only barked once that they heard so I think she was content and they tried to really accommodate her and make her happy.

So we're not out of the woods yet. I'm most worried about her foot, weight loss and making sure her URI is gone. But at least some areas are improving and hopefully with time she can get back to her normal self.

Back