Post Injury Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with liquid stitches. I haven't cleaned any of Chloe's wounds because the liquid really just sealed them off when it dried. It looks like having super glue on your skin. But I think when they shaved her, they nicked a nipple as one has a spot of dried blood and is bent. I didn't notice it until today as it's really hard to keep her from squirming and I am always afraid of ripping her stitches if I make her struggle too much so I don't take her out and thoroughly look her over every day but I look at her belly every day when she is just walking around or stands for a treat. There has been no bleeding and nothing looks too swollen or red. There is minimal swelling--well I can't actually tell what is the swelling and what is the blob of liquid stitches and skin being held together. One area on her inner thigh is somewhat pink, but I wonder if her skin is just pink there as it's a fold so it traps heat.

I'm not sure what I should clean at least her nipple with (or if I should just leave it alone) because I don't know what will and won't damage the integrity of the liquid stitches. The vet I saw didn't specialize in chins and it was at a busy e-vet hospital. I can call my regular vet and probably will, I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this so I could get some more insight on it.

I am worried about her pooing less and smaller. I figured it was stress and she can't move around as much and because she also seems to be drinking less. I put a bowl in her cage as well and she drank out of that. It is probably hard to drink out of a bottle with a collar on. Hopefully it will help, and I've been giving her simethicone but I don't think she has gas. It's not dire or anything, I just don't want her to become sick or it get worse.

Her digestive tract seems to be working fine now, but her foot is infected and one of her other cuts seems to have reopened in one spot.

I put her e-collar back on (the plastic one, she had a fleece one) seems she finally maneuvered her way to be able to reach her foot--thus infection. I had her on shavings last weekend so I think this may also have irritated her wounds.

I've soaked her foot in epsom a couple times and I am going to make a vet appointment.

I'm freaking out because I'm going to Ireland for a week in 5 days...I have a friend looking after her and I can't expect her to be able to soak her foot or clean her (she'll probably be too afraid she'd kill her or something). Antibiotics is a breeze obviously (if it's sulfa/trim).

But I think the plastic e-collar might work better. I just have to figure out if she can eat and drink with it. I did trim it but not enough that she can lick any part of herself.

This vacation is going to be horrible!

seems she finally maneuvered her way to be able to reach her foot--thus infection
There has probably been infection the whole time, which in turn caused the chewing.

She also has a weakened immune system, especially if she had a previous run of antibiotics that didn't work all the way. I'd be working on getting that back up.

Good luck, and try to enjoy your trip.

There has probably been infection the whole time, which in turn caused the chewing.

She also has a weakened immune system, especially if she had a previous run of antibiotics that didn't work all the way. I'd be working on getting that back up.

She could have had an infection this whole time, yes. I also thought she might have been itchy, or trying to chew the liquid stitches off because it was new and weird.

She was prescribed the antibiotics for 7 days, but I've kept her on them the whole time. So she never stopped taking them since I never saw all her cuts fully heal up. It's been 10 days she's been on them so I'm assuming the vet will tell me to keep her on them at least for a few more days or give me another one if I can't do sulfa/trim long term (don't really know about that, but I'd think longer term might be doable--I mean like 2 and a half weeks as opposed to one) and give me more.

I'm just freaking out because I don't know what the chances are of her developing something really dangerous with just antibiotics and an e-collar and no cleaning of the wound or anything in a week. And what if the antibiotics don't work? I mean how hard is it for superficial wounds to heal?!?!? I never worry this much when I cut myself!!

She was prescribed the antibiotics for 7 days, but I've kept her on them the whole time.
You can not give antibiotics longer than 7 days, 10 max for rare situations with specific antibiotics. You need to stop, the instructions are there for a reason. This causes the bacteria to become immune to the antibiotic, then you have a bacteria strain in your house that is resistant and if YOU get it you are SOL. You can no longer use what you are giving her as it is clear that they have and it is not working.

You need to discuss this with your vet asap.

The antibiotic course depends on the situation, I have had them on them for over 21 days and I know of other chins with URIs that have been on them for 21+ days, Lu is on injectable baytril right now for 21 days. Its up to the vet to make the decision case by case, what it the worse of both evils.

Baytril is not a sulfa drug. It depends on the drug and the strain of antibiotics used, they'll treat lyme disease for that long too.

My point is - follow the vet's instructions. Abusing antibiotics is how MRSA came to be.

She's been on sulfa/trim for 12 days before. When she hurt her toe before, I phoned the vet after a week to say it was getting better but still a little swollen. He told me to extend the meds to 12 days. So I was under the impression it was possibly ok. Also, if I stop the meds before most of the bacteria are killed wouldn't that increase the chances of a resistant strain? I know that taking antibiotics too often can cause problems and the last time she was on them was 5 months ago. It's good for skin infections and I know it's tolerated well by chins. Maybe I did make a big mistake and am being arrogant trying to medicate my own chin.

She has an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Not with her regular vet, though.

How long have others been prescribed sulfa/trim for and at what dose and strength before?

Too long and too short application of antibiotics can both cause resistance.
(I personally think the risk would be higher with too short application, but I don't have anything to back that up)

Definitely talk to your vet.

Alright, I am officially freaking out. She's lost at least 35 grams and I saw her shaking tonight. It was pretty slight, I couldn't tell unless I looked close or held her. I don't know if she was shaking because I was holding her though. A cut opened up on her thigh. Seems the sutures are dissolving and too soon.

There is literally no vet that is chin competent that can board her (that I know of). I feel like I'm going to come home to a dead chin. I'm just going to be sobbing the entire week over there. I don't even know how I can tell my parents that I don't feel I can go to Ireland without losing Chloe.

Does anybody have any ideas or know of any vet places she could stay? I've pretty much been bawling and can't stop.

Last edited:
I calm down as the first thing. It isn't helping Chloe and if she's around you your emotions could cause concern for her. Tomorrow I would call all the vets around and see if there is one that will board her. Hopefully one will surprise you and make you feel you could safely leave her. I'd also see if a breeder were near you and willing to board her if you paid any vet bills needed in your absence. If these fail I would consider a professional pet sitter.

Hope these ideas help.

I agree with Jazi, try to calm down. How bad is she bleeding now? Is it enough she needs a vet asap? Are the stiches completely gone? If not then yes call in the morning and see if someone can take her. Explain your situation to them--hopefully there will be someone that can help out.

Thanks guys. I feel like I need someone to slap me in the face and yell "get yourself together!!"

No, she's not bleeding now. I noticed dried blood right on her cut that was new, but I can't see any in her cage anywhere. They were dissolvable stitches and liquid stitches and I can't tell if they are gone or not. Some of them may be. She squirms whenever I try to look and I think it might be opening them up again if she moves too much. I'll let the vet look at them tomorrow. I guess really I should save my freaking out for after the vet appointment, but even then I don't know this doctor.

I hadn't weighed her this whole time because I never weighed the collar to tare the reading but I figured I'd weigh her now and if she's under what she usually is then I'd know she lost weight. Previously she had been gaining, so her weight wasn't constant. Last weight was 635 g. This weight tonight was 600 g (with the collar).

She could have lost weight from the trauma of the accident. Try not to get ahead of yourself, see what the vet has to say. Remember to ask them about boarding her or if they might know someone who can--someone you can check with before you go. If your friend takes care of her while your gone make sure they have the info to get on the forum and how to reach us in case of an emergency

If your worried about weight I would weigh daily until she's better. If she starts losing than I'd worry but 35 grams with what she's been through is not all that much. Oscar has lost a lot of weight since coming to us despite eating more. It's all exercise since he's still a healthy chinchilla although I did talk to our breeder about it to be sure.

Alot of times the vet techs will take animals home to take care of for a fee. The shaking bothers me, I can't put my finger on it why right now make sure you tell the vet.

Alot of times the vet techs will take animals home to take care of for a fee. The shaking bothers me, I can't put my finger on it why right now make sure you tell the vet.

I emailed my mom and she actually called our cat's vet and they said they'd board Chloe. I don't think they know much about chins and on their website it says they only board current patients, that's why I didn't bother asking them but since we're already clients. It does make me almost equally nervous leaving her at a vet hospital but they would obviously be way better at wound management than just a friend would be.

And I am definitely telling the vet about the shaking. It bothers me too. I hope it was just her being scared of me since I've been torturing her the past 2 weeks. I upped the heat to 65F and haven't seen her shake today. Also, pretty much her whole underside is shaven so she's probably colder from that. I fed her some pellets today from my hand and she ate them so I think she is having trouble eating from her bowl, but I see her at her food bowl several times a day. Maybe she just tires out and gives up before she's full.

The appointment's in an hour and a half so I'll update afterwards.

Chloe is going to be one stressed out chinchilla (not that she already isn't...)

OK--lots of news. Saw the relief vet and at the vet I noticed that she has dried mucus around her nose and I could see some in her nose. GAH so now she has a URI. The vet wanted her to stay on the sulfa/trim but I said I was afraid it wouldn't work since she got the infection on it to begin with. So he prescribed me doxycycline (1.5 mL bid, don't know the concentration). I told him if he prescribed Baytril I wanted the injectable kind. Do you guys think doxycycline would cure up a URI? I did notice her wheezing but I thought it was angry huffing/sighing at the time. When I saw her nose, I figured it was wheezing that I misinterpreted.

For her wounds, he told me to give her a dust bath, get calendula and put it on her twice a day, get jerusalum artichoke and give itl once a day, give benebac once a day and warm compresses on her leg once daily. He also took her collar off and said to keep it off as much as I could as it is seriously stressing her out and she's only going to get more stressed out when she boards.

He was kind of a hippie and seemed like a good doctor.

What do you guys think?

Golly Caiti, poor Chloe, I hope she feels better real soon. I don't know anything about the med the vet prescribed but I know that Baytril will do the job with the URI. My vet would not give me the injectible kind so I had to use the suspension.

Back