possibly old chin, much advice needed.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chinchillatron

I've recently taken in a chinchilla that seems some what sluggish, he doesn't respond with the bounce and vigor of my other chins although the only experience I have had with chins they were/are between the ages of 7 months and 2 years. This chinchilla came to me with Kay-tee brand hay, Nutrachin pellets, and Kay-tee dust bath. We've begun the slow transition to Mazuri, switched the hay to oxbow and have been giving him daily dust baths of blue cloud. (his fur was/is awful) His ears are both crumpled. It looks as though they have shriveled up or what's left of them has anyway. Perhaps they were chewed off? They have healed. His feet look to have the onset of bumble-foot (s/p?), and I forgot to mention his ears are very very dry.

My question for you is, what would you do now? I want to treat this poor guys ears, and feet. I want to give him some oomph, and get his little legs and body moving. I've heard about certain things, supplements or what have you, that help chinchillas with age related issues etc.. Can you personally suggest anything? There has to be at least a handful of you out there with older chins.. please, any advice would be wonderful.

I also forgot to mention after leaving him alone for two days (to adjust to noises/ surrounding, in the cage he came with, mind you) he still will not eat a single rosehip, he wont chew on apple wood, pumice stone, colored sticks, or bamboo shredders. His teeth are a good length, but they are very dark yellow/orange, should any of this be a cause for alarm.. ??

Thank you.

I don't personally have any advice on supplements or help with old chins, but as far as his teeth, you want them to be an orange color. It means he has enough calcium. If they're white or light yellow, then you have a problem.

And as far as chewing on things, perhaps he is overwhelmed. If he didn't have access to things like those before, he may just be over stimulated and not know what to do. And some of my girls don't like rosehips. But as far as not having the oomph of a normal chin, has he seen a vet? If he was from a bad home, perhaps he has some underlying issue.

I don't have any experience with older chins, but I do have a suggestion for treating the dry ears. If they're completely healed, you can rub in a little bit of bag balm on them once a day or so and they should clear up. This can be used for dry feet as well, but if he does actually have bumblefoot, I believe he may need antibiotics prescribed by the vet. Good luck with your new little guy!

I also forgot to mention after leaving him alone for two days (to adjust to noises/ surrounding, in the cage he came with, mind you) he still will not eat a single rosehip, he wont chew on apple wood, pumice stone, colored sticks, or bamboo shredders. His teeth are a good length, but they are very dark yellow/orange, should any of this be a cause for alarm.. ??

I have to agree he most likely just needs more time.

How often are you giving him dust baths? You mentioned daily, but if it's like ten minutes or more daily, that can contribute to his dry ears and feet.

That's very true mishalaa, I was worried about his fur I didn't even think of that. Well someone has suggested that I use bag balm, so as long as I am doing so I suppose I should avoid dust bathing as much as possible.. otherwise that will be a big mess, don't u think?

*Edit* And that has to be the cutest chin face (in your icon) that I have ever seen!! That chin is the gerber baby of chins.

I have a lot of experience with older chins. Your chin was on a horrible diet and sounds like he has had a hard life. Give him some time to adjust to everything. His fur will improve greatly with regular dust baths. You would not believe what some of the chins have looked like when we rescued them, but with dust baths (we use Blue Cloud) he can have healthy fur again.

His energy will improve with a proper diet, but right now he needs to detox basically. I sell my Chinchilla Organic Herb & Grain Fusion on my web site and I always give this to new rescues for their first few days to give them a boost and help to rid their body of impurities. After a few days I give it to the chins 2-3 times a week. It really makes a difference.

If he has never had any kind of chew toys before, it may take him time to try one. Some chins are just not big chewers.

His energy will improve with a proper diet, but right now he needs to detox basically. I sell my Chinchilla Organic Herb & Grain Fusion on my web site and I always give this to new rescues for their first few days to give them a boost and help to rid their body of impurities. After a few days I give it to the chins 2-3 times a week. It really makes a difference.

I've placed an order for 6oz, to give it a try. Anything is worth a try, he is the sweetest chin I've ever had the experience meeting. Thank you. :):hug4:

Back