Possible giardia?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabe

I just want to start by saying I've made an appointment for the vet already.
I noticed a tiny bit of mucas on one of my Chinny's poops and a hard bubbles in another poop. So from reading on here I'm assuming this is giardia. He is perfectly fine in every other aspect. So I'm just curious if it's possible it's not giardia and mucas just sometimes happens? And does anyone know how much a giardia test usually costs? Not worried about the cost just curious. Thanks for any info. I feel so paranoid all the time. But thank god for this forum.

Those are signs of Giardia although the bubbles indicate gas as well (which Giardia can cause). Some chins can test positive for it and be completely asymptomatic. Others actually show the telltale signs of soft stools, stool odor, and/or mucous.

If it's not Giardia, perhaps he just had a treat that didn't agree with his GI system. A fecal test isn't too expensive though. My vet charges $25 for fecal floats. Not too bad for the peace of mind.

Back