Possible Eye Issue Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LannyCoop

Hey Everyone

I need some advice. Kiefer has had a little bit of an eye irratation for a day or two now in his left eye. I just noticed it watering a little, nothing coming out, just looks like hes trying to flush something out, and he is also shutting it more than usual.

I am hoping you agree with my conclusion. here it is, I have been monitoring him closely and realizing he has been chewing his chinchiller. There seems to be residue from the cement on the self of his cage. Do you think some of the dust from him chewing it got in his eye? Or him thinking its dust bath and trying to roll in it? (which he just did) Should I be worried?

I am going to remove it tonight, as he doesn't need it anymore and clear out his cage. Just wondering if people think its anything to worry more about once I do this or if this is what's probably causing the irratation?, Should I give it a few days after and see how he is?

Thank you! :)

I see this quite a bit with the chins here. They will get a little bit of dust or something and have a slightly irritated eye for maybe a day or so. Normally I will flush the eye out with some saline solution just so that I don't have to worry about it.

I wouldn't worry too much about your chin, but you really should watch it closely. If it has discharge or ends up getting swollen or even swells shut, you may want to consider getting the chin to the vet because it could be infected. For just a normal eye irritation with a little dust or something in the eye, it will probably resolve itself in a short time. You could try to clean it out with some saline solution. I have heard of using some epsom salts to cleanse the eye, that could help. The thing to be concerned about right now is that the problem doesn't get worse.

okay, thank you! I will watch him closely and make sure its all okay,
Hopefully it will clear up all on its own! but I will keep a close watch on him!

thank you :)

Latest posts

Back