Popsicle sticks?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemarie

I saw somewhere that Popsicle sticks are okay to add to toys. I'm wondering if that is true? and if they are how do I prepare them if i have to?

from what i have read and experienced, popsicle sticks splinter really easily. if i recall correctly, they are made of balsa wood, and this wood has a tendency to break apart in sharp splinters. don't want your chin getting a sliver in his lip or gum :( (the reason i won't use popsicle sticks with my boys any more, for safety's sake).

actually they are made of birch.. and to be honest, one of mine love them, so i do use them and n ever had any problems.. but if she has heard they splinter, you may want to be careful.

Some of mine really love them, too. I give them out from time to time and the chins destroy them in a hurry. A lot of different woods splinter, but you need to watch to be certain that the chinchillas aren't eating it...but you have to be careful and watch with most things you put in with the chins.

Ya I would offer them to my chins, but probably wouldn't put them on toys that I leave in the cage (as in when I'm not there).

I use wooden coffee stir sticks. the wood is softer so the "splinters" are very soft. My chinchillas love them! I get them at Smart and Final for about $5 for a box of 1000. Margot Neubauer suggested that I give them a try.

I had to rush to the emergency vet when Tiki lodged a splinter in the back of her throat from a popcicle stick toy, they do splinter way more than regular wood.

I use wooden coffee stir sticks. the wood is softer so the "splinters" are very soft. My chinchillas love them! I get them at Smart and Final for about $5 for a box of 1000. Margot Neubauer suggested that I give them a try.

I will have to give them a try. thank you.

Some of mine really love them, too. I give them out from time to time and the chins destroy them in a hurry. A lot of different woods splinter, but you need to watch to be certain that the chinchillas aren't eating it...but you have to be careful and watch with most things you put in with the chins.

I saw them on some of the toys and I thought they were good so i gave him a few and they just splintered like crazy and I got scared. He absolutely loved them too. he tore it apart and crawled into the bag of sticks and got another one. I felt bad that i took them away but my gut just told me danger.

I've personally always avoided their use, if I'm looking for a shred Toy I just use vine balls or finger traps even a thinner piece of scrap pine from one of my chin projects, rather than be paranoid about a splinter in the throat or lodged in the gums causing an abscess if I dont know about it... There is already enough for me to be paranoid about with them than risk it

now i'm worried.. and dont want to use them anymore.. wow, a splinter caught in the back of her throat must of been super scarey.

I'm not worried about splitters in the mouth but in his feet.. Just jumping I just see one of the pieces sticking up. But all wood splitters. My Benny loves them I just watch him if I give him one.

Latest posts

Back